Rooting a bougie in water?

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Everything I’ve read this far says it can’t be done. However I had a cutting today that pretty much instantly wilted so I put it in a glass of water and it instantly peeled up.

After searching the Internet, it seems that people have had good success doing so.

Any experiences?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have tried a couple times, without success. They eventually rot. I even put a little rooting hormone in the water.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This ones been in water since Monday and this node is getting awfully bumpy really quickly.

Attachments

• BEA98B30-7CDB-4DAD-A2D9-166CC3A6442B.jpeg
    BEA98B30-7CDB-4DAD-A2D9-166CC3A6442B.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 136276B4-FB7A-47EC-A07D-A459D368C934.jpeg
    136276B4-FB7A-47EC-A07D-A459D368C934.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 16

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nearly every plant can root in water. As long as you can keep the water clean and oxigenated.
I did it with a scots pine, it rooted fine. But as soon as i took it out, it wilted and died.
Algae, bacteria, yeasts and fungi are all waterbound issues that can cause problems. But.. If you change the water often, it will most likely root before issues arrise. That's a daily task.

Keep an eye out for slimey looking stuff around the cutting, those are bacteria and fungi trying to get to the good stuff. If it occurs, keep the cutting in running tap water for 5 minutes, just wash the stuff off.
A few drops of 3% peroxide could help preventing or solving bacterial growth.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well I changed the water since I didn’t know that was a thing, and it dropped. Stem got all floppy and didn’t perk up. So I stuck it in rooting hormone powder and put it in my cutting box.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nearly every plant can root in water. As long as you can keep the water clean and oxigenated.
I did it with a scots pine, it rooted fine. But as soon as i took it out, it wilted and died.
Algae, bacteria, yeasts and fungi are all waterbound issues that can cause problems. But.. If you change the water often, it will most likely root before issues arrise. That's a daily task.

Keep an eye out for slimey looking stuff around the cutting, those are bacteria and fungi trying to get to the good stuff. If it occurs, keep the cutting in running tap water for 5 minutes, just wash the stuff off.
A few drops of 3% peroxide could help preventing or solving bacterial growth.
Very good info. It is like hydroponics.
Thu Thoai

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well I changed the water since I didn’t know that was a thing, and it dropped. Stem got all floppy and didn’t perk up. So I stuck it in rooting hormone powder and put it in my cutting box.

How long did you keep it out? That shouldn't happen unless you use RO water or sea water. Weird.
I think that chicken/seedling dome is perfectly suited for cuttings.

Top Bottom