Rooting ficus (microcarpa) in water

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Usually I root my cuttings in bonsai soil outside when it's warm. It's been hard to root cuttings inside this was for me. I had a few clippings left over and put them in water with a pinch of rooting hormone powder. Does this look like roots forming? Some are in a clear shot glass. The big one in a white plastic cup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 77

JJshives

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, those are the new roots forming. Interesting in the first pic they are up so high on the cutting. I've never rooted microcarpa but on the other ficus I've done they were lower and not as spread out. They should start growing faster now too.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How long were they in the water and any bottom heat? And did you change the water? Many of the common house plants are routed in water. Ficus are hardy, often just let cuttings see some soil and the send roots out.

Please keep us advised of the progress.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They've been in the water a week or two. I haven't changed the water, but I have added water sporadically. I don't have any way to add bottom heat at the moment so they're just sitting next to a south facing window in my kitchen.

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Below is my most recent round of Ficus Nerifolia (Willow Leaf Ficus) cuttings. This is a tupperware, although could just as easily use a seed starter flat with dome combo kit. Dab on a bit of rooting horemone, Mist & water with a dilute solution of kelp juice, and you'll have enough roots to transplant in a week.

Place this contraption in a window, 2-3" under fluorescent lamp, or both

Edit: sorry for the fuzzy photos

Last edited:
Top Bottom