Rooting From Branch Clippings

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi! D0C9F6D8-45DC-4ED3-9863-5D0475208363.jpeg So I’ve tried a couple times to get roots from some branch clippings from a few trees. I’ve mostly been experimenting but not successfully. If you guys have ideas on how to do this properly, I would totally be appreciative. I’ve heard different things so I just wanted to get some more ideas. I currently have Chinese Elm and Japanese Maple clippings. I wanted to get some advice before I did anything. Right now I just stuck them in a cup of water, misted them heavily and put a bag over them. I’ve heard different types of soil to put them in, cut back all the leaves except for maybe 2 to 5 and some have said leave them in water for several days before you actually put them in the soil. I’ve also heard to cut away the bottom portion of cambium before you put root powder on them and put them in soil. Soooo yes any advice is very appreciated because I want start doing this correctly. Thank you

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve also heard to cut away the bottom portion of cambium before you put root powder on them
Utter nonsense!

Adventitious rooting happens because of a high level of auxin IN cambium cells.
Rooting hormones are artificial auxins.

Possibly thus 'authority' meant simply removing the bark, which would expose more cambium cells to adsorb the IBA/NAA from the powder.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Utter nonsense!

Adventitious rooting happens because of a high level of auxin IN cambium cells.
Rooting hormones are artificial auxins.

Possibly thus 'authority' meant simply removing the bark, which would expose more cambium cells to adsorb the IBA/NAA from the powder.
Thank you you for redirecting on that little piece of information. Let’s hope they simply meant removing the bark. Would you recommend removing a little bit of the bark? Or leaving it as is? Thanks again!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks @0soyoung

I do almost all of my Japanese Maples in the way I describe in the PDF (link below), as well as my Ume, Cherries, etc. For cultivars that are especially difficult to root, I do the following:

- Prepare your cutting to their final size in the evening (I do it around sun down after a cloudy day -- don't use dehydrated shoots!)
- Put them in a jar (no more than 1/3 submerged) in liquid rooting hormone that has been diluted in water (the concentration limit varies by species and cultivar, too much and you'll burn your cuttings)
- Let them sit in the water/hormone overnight
- Plant them in the morning

I cannot say that this liquid approach is always more efficient than the powder approach since I have only ever used this liquid approach on cultivars where the powder approach did not work, although I did have better success with liquid in those particular instances. (This does not imply that cultivars that root easily with the power approach will be even better with the liquid approach!). Moreover, my comparison was in no way systematic but instead purely casual observation-- one way did not work, so I tried the other (with all else being equal) and it happened to work. I hope to do something more systematic in the future, maybe in 2023/2024

Attachments

• MWH_66068_1016f0535-7af4-41ae-a316-d452eeb10cf9-600x600.jpg
    MWH_66068_1016f0535-7af4-41ae-a316-d452eeb10cf9-600x600.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 6

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is how I do maples:
I have never seen that gel rooting hormone. Do you have a link to the product description?

My general go-to is this: Dip N Grow

It is a combination of IPA and NAA and you dilute it to the strength you want depending on the plant material you are working with.

Perhaps because I am lazy, or because I have far too many cuttings going at any one time, I find that Zip-Lok bags, while effective, take too much work to open and close. Rather, I use 1 gallon black nursery containers and clear plastic deli containers like these:

32ozAlurPunched__78491.1610229482.jpg

They fit tightly on top of the nursery containers, and when I need to water, I just lift the lid, water, and replace :)

Last edited:

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have never seen that gel rooting hormone
Clonex has been recommended by a lot of "YouTubers." That's what I use and "so far, so good." My only failures have been MY mistakes... but I don't do a lot of propagation. Dip n Grow is what Jonas recommends, he did a very interesting experiment with JBP seedling cuttings and various concentrations.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Clonex has been recommended by a lot of "YouTubers." That's what I use and "so far, so good." My only failures have been MY mistakes... but I don't do a lot of propagation. Dip n Grow is what Jonas recommends, he did a very interesting experiment with JBP seedling cuttings and various concentrations.
The Clonex that @leatherback uses is 0.33% IBA. Dip n Grow is 1.0% IBA and 0.5% NAA - but you dilute to get to the proper strength. It should be noted that Dip n Grow is mostly ethanol and alcohol and is designed to be a "quick dip" solution (3 - 5 seconds). It is not designed as a soak, and I just checked their web site and they specifically mention that soaking cuttings may be harmful/detrimental.

FWIW - Dip n Grow suggests a 5x dilution rate for hardwood cuttings (Japanese Maples) so they are recommending a 0.2% IBA and 0.1% NAA solution strength.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FWIW I checked out that Jonas article. He didn't mention the source for the two strengths he used - 10x dilution and 5x dilution. 10x dilution is what Dip n Grow recommends for softwoods. 5x dilution is what they recommend for hardwoods. Interestingly, he got the best results from 5x dilution... but shorter dip duration. As soon as he got above 2 minutes, his results started to suffer (for this limited trial). This would tend to back up what the manufacturer says about not allowing the cuttings to sit in the hormone solution too long.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks @0soyoung

I do almost all of my Japanese Maples in the way I describe in the PDF (link below), as well as my Ume, Cherries, etc. For cultivars that are especially difficult to root, I do the following:

- Prepare your cutting to their final size in the evening (I do it around sun down after a cloudy day -- don't use dehydrated shoots!)
- Put them in a jar (no more than 1/3 submerged) in liquid rooting hormone that has been diluted in water (the concentration limit varies by species and cultivar, too much and you'll burn your cuttings)
- Let them sit in the water/hormone overnight
- Plant them in the morning

I cannot say that this liquid approach is always more efficient than the powder approach since I have only ever used this liquid approach on cultivars where the powder approach did not work, although I did have better success with liquid in those particular instances. (This does not imply that cultivars that root easily with the power approach will be even better with the liquid approach!). Moreover, my comparison was in no way systematic but instead purely casual observation-- one way did not work, so I tried the other (with all else being equal) and it happened to work. I hope to do something more systematic in the future, maybe in 2023/2024

Thank you so much for sharing this document! Super valuable and I see how I’ve been doing multiple things wrong and why I’ve been unsuccessful. I do have one quick question though, in the document it talked about taking cuttings from juvenile trees that are 3 to 5 years old. What are the disadvantages of taking cuttings from parent trees that are older than that? Less of a success rate ?
Thank you again for sharing!

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have never seen that gel rooting hormone. Do you have a link to the product description?

My general go-to is this: Dip N Grow

It is a combination of IPA and NAA and you dilute it to the strength you want depending on the plant material you are working with.

Perhaps because I am lazy, or because I have far too many cuttings going at any one time, I find that Zip-Lok bags, while effective, take too much work to open and close. Rather, I use 1 gallon black nursery containers and clear plastic deli containers like these:

View attachment 444262

They fit tightly on top of the nursery containers, and when I need to water, I just lift the lid, water, and replace :)
Thanks for this tip about the deli containers. I was trying to think of what I could use similar but this makes perfect sense. I was thinking at first 2 L empty bottles cut open on the bottom but the deli containers seem like a better option and less work. I struggled with the bags for sure.

Top Bottom