Rooting Hormone? Yeah, sure!

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I did some research aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid (asa) the bark and leaves of willows (and poplars it turns out), contains a similar molecule, salicylic acid.

So it might work the same way. It might not work at all though.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I did some research aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid (asa) the bark and leaves of willows (and poplars it turns out), contains a similar molecule, salicylic acid.

So it might work the same way. It might not work at all though.
I wonder if a dip in rooting hormone then watering the cutting with a willow/aspirin mix would insure sure fire growth .......... or an OD?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And what is the aspirin dose? " Plain aspirin" doesn't say much. Down here I can get it in 1000mg tabs.
What is the willow dose? I can guarantee you the aspirin dose is smaller and probably more beneficial than the willow water. Plain aspirin as in "Bayer". One tablet per quart of water. All it will do is make one feel better about their process while not guaranteeing any better results. Proper methods, clean and sterile tools, correct media and proper aftercare will insure results.

Last edited:

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
What is the willow dose? I can guarantee you the aspirin dose is smaller and probably more beneficial than the willow water. Plain aspirin as in "Bayer". One tablet per quart of water. All it will do is make one feel better about their process while not guaranteeing any better results.
Proper methods, clear and sterile tools, correct media and proper aftercare will insure results.
No Hokus Pokus or snake oil? Golly! You're no fun.
bored_smiley.gif

LOL.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
......... Hydroponic products in a near-by shop called ”Ebboflod”: products such as BioBizz Root Juice, Clonex, Ghe Bio Booste Rootr, Hesi Root Comlex, and Root Excelurator …. none of which I've ever heard of before. But since it's now after hours, I won't be able to contact them until tomorrow to see if they are still doing business. ....
Finally got hold of the guy per telephone, so I'll be going down at the end of the week to pick a bottle. He says it's CLONEX that's the right stuff for propagating cuttings. The other ones are for improving roots on plants that have already sprouted.
icon_yippie.gif

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally got hold of the guy per telephone, so I'll be going down at the end of the week to pick a bottle. He says it's CLONEX that's the right stuff for propagating cuttings. The other ones are for improving roots on plants that have already sprouted.
icon_yippie.gif
Here are the ingredients listed for clonex; Ingredients: Calcium nitrate, potassium nitrate, phosphoric acid, potassium sulfate and ammonium nitrate.

All fertilizers and no ingredients for stimulating root growth. What you need is a cloning solution with IBA. Indole-3-butyric acid (1H-Indole-3-butanoic acid, IBA) is a white to light-yellow crystalline solid, with the molecular formula C12H13NO2. It melts at 125 °C in atmospheric pressure and decomposes before boiling. IBA is a plant hormone in the auxin family and is an ingredient in many commercial horticultural plant rooting products.

Most cloning products from a "head shop" will not contain IBA due to forcing the trunk to split and roots coming out half way up the stem like a monster. IBA is just not needed to clone a marajuana plant, basically a noxious weed. IBA will help promote roots in hard to root species like pines and cedars. even junipers are easy to root without hormone. Maples, hornbeam, hackberry, pyracantha, and elm will root if only covered with soil and watered. Its as easy as that.

Read the label if it has no IBA, then its a waste of money. If it says IBA and the strength is 0.01% (which is usual) its a waste of money. You want a full 1% or better to get your monies worth. The best rooting powder is made by hormex. Use the 2% it will grow roots on the sole of a shoe.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are the ingredients listed for clonex; Ingredients: Calcium nitrate, potassium nitrate, phosphoric acid, potassium sulfate and ammonium nitrate.

All fertilizers and no ingredients for stimulating root growth. What you need is a cloning solution with IBA. Indole-3-butyric acid (1H-Indole-3-butanoic acid, IBA) is a white to light-yellow crystalline solid, with the molecular formula C12H13NO2. It melts at 125 °C in atmospheric pressure and decomposes before boiling. IBA is a plant hormone in the auxin family and is an ingredient in many commercial horticultural plant rooting products.

Most cloning products from a "head shop" will not contain IBA due to forcing the trunk to split and roots coming out half way up the stem like a monster. IBA is just not needed to clone a marajuana plant, basically a noxious weed. IBA will help promote roots in hard to root species like pines and cedars. even junipers are easy to root without hormone. Maples, hornbeam, hackberry, pyracantha, and elm will root if only covered with soil and watered. Its as easy as that.

Read the label if it has no IBA, then its a waste of money. If it says IBA and the strength is 0.01% (which is usual) its a waste of money. You want a full 1% or better to get your monies worth. The best rooting powder is made by hormex. Use the 2% it will grow roots on the sole of a shoe.
2% Butyric is the stuff!!!!

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score

Now that is a reply I can sink my teeth into! I'm going down there tomorrow morning and I will be taking your advice. 1% or better IBA ....... or ”no dice”.

Much appreciated!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that is a reply I can sink my teeth into! I'm going down there tomorrow morning and I will be taking your advice. 1% or better IBA ....... or ”no dice”.

Much appreciated!
I soak all my cuttings in straight Hormex liquid for one minute or longer on harder woods then dip in the 2% powder. Like smoke said throws roots on shoe soles!!!

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I soak all my cuttings in straight Hormex liquid for one minute or longer on harder woods then dip in the 2% powder. Like smoke said throws roots on shoe soles!!!
The BIGGEST problem I'm going to have is what ingredients are allowed in my country. We are very strict on chemicals that can be harmful to nature and difficult to dispense with once it is "passed usage date". I don't yet know if your and Smoke's suggestions are even possible to obtain here. I'll find out tomorrow. :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The BIGGEST problem I'm going to have is what ingredients are allowed in my country. We are very strict on chemicals that can be harmful to nature and difficult to dispense with once it is "passed usage date". I don't yet know if your and Smoke's suggestions are even possible to obtain here. I'll find out tomorrow. :)
IBA is a very powerful carcinigenic, use gloves if you find it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure you aren't confusing Indoele-3-Buteric Acid with something else? The EPA doesn't think it is at all risky.
Not classified as a carcinogen since 1990. I better catch up. No wonder I don't like these round pots, I'm still stuck in 1988. Could also have to do with why you can't find a rooting hormone stronger than 0.01%. The IBA I have is dissolved in denatured alcohol which must carry a prop 65 warning in California. The alcohol is probably the reason for the warning.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I heard from Ryanl Neil that it is a very powerful carcinogen. Maybe that's why it is harder to find? I am speculating...

Top Bottom