Rooting Hormone? Yeah, sure!

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Got it! I went down there with quite a bit of scepticism regarding the ingredients, wanting to see it clearly marked ”Rooting HORMONE”. It looks like I got the right stuff.

This was a thread worth starting! Thanks to one and all!

CLONEX.jpg

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nebari, not sure about regulations in Sweden but you may want to look into buying 100% IBA and pharmaceutical grade talc online and mixing your own. I had a hard time finding the concentration I wanted and this worked well for me. 5g IBA and 500g talc cost a total of $15.00 US, so it is also an inexpensive option.
Good luck with your cuttings.

Thought I had posted this last night but turns out that I was not logged in. Figured I would post anyways in case someone else is in the same situation. Glad you were able to get the stuff you were looking for Nebari.

Last edited:

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Nebari, not sure about regulations in Sweden but you may want to look into buying 100% IBA and pharmaceutical grade talc online and mixing your own. I had a hard time finding the concentration I wanted and this worked well for me. 5g IBA and 500g talc cost a total of $15.00 US, so it is also an inexpensive option.
Good luck with your cuttings.

Thought I had posted this last night but turns out that I was not logged in. Figured I would post anyways in case someone else is in the same situation. Glad you were able to get the stuff you were looking for Nebari.
I'll have a look. Thanks.

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Got it! I went down there with quite a bit of scepticism regarding the ingredients, wanting to see it clearly marked ”Rooting HORMONE”. It looks like I got the right stuff.

This was a thread worth starting! Thanks to one and all!

View attachment 83474
Just found some of this RandomUsr. Have you had any luck with it? I'm rooting conifers and not sure 3000ppm will be sufficient. I'm giving it a go now anyway. In a year will post the results. Particularly large branch cuttings too.

Anyone know why this stuff isn't more readily available in garden centres now? Maybe idiots were disposing of it into water courses or something :0/

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just found some of this RandomUsr. Have you had any luck with it? I'm rooting conifers and not sure 3000ppm will be sufficient. I'm giving it a go now anyway. In a year will post the results. Particularly large branch cuttings too.

Anyone know why this stuff isn't more readily available in garden centres now? Maybe idiots were disposing of it into water courses or something :0/
Curious to see how it goes. I'm planning on doing some conifer hardwood cuttings soon, but I've been unsure about the hormone strength that would be most effective.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I would speculate that it few people delve into growing cuttings.

But, the IBA powders/liquids in strengths from a few 100 ppm to 4.5% is readily available on line from Hormex. They even give one some idea of the strengths necessary for some notable species.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's because since 2016, IBA is classified as a known carcinogen. Regulators have caught up with that and the stuff is banned completely in most consumer stores. It became company policy for us to work with gloves and dusk masks when handling powdered hormone. We were lucky, because actual policy dictates we should use it in a chem hood only.
I once emailed clonex to talk about how they arranged their paperwork to sell their product because I wanted to sell it too, and they told me they don't even have the required paperwork to sell the stuff in Europe. Which caused them to re-check their sellers and halt all exports going here.

I got JBP and Mugo pine to root with regular strength clonex by the way, and dipping in powdered rooting hormone a month later. But only 1 in 5 produced roots, and those cuttings were pencil thick at most.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's because since 2016, IBA is classified as a known carcinogen.
Are you sure it isn't the talc (as opposed to IBA)? Talc has been named a cause of ovarian cancer here.

But, I don't think IBA is a carcinogen anywhere. It is approved through 2021 in France. It may just be that appropriate paperwork hasn't been filed with the EU. There was a big problem with getting lime sulfur a few years ago in the US because of a change in filing requirements. Possible that something similar happened before the 2016 "ban"?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
France is an exception on plant regulations, those guys set Paris ablaze if they don't get what they want.. So they get what they want. Farmers have exceptional status in France as opposed to the rest of the union.
We even have a saying: living like a farmer in France.
Meaning you are living a good life and are provided with everything to do so.

So their paperwork is different than ours, to begin with. And there is less of a difference between 'home use' and 'professional use' for the French.

Weird enough, the talc powdered form is widely available here. Other types should only be sold for professional use.

Sigma aaldrich states that an agency (one I can't find) classified it as a carcinogen under Cas no 133-32-4 for especially testicular cancer. Most US safety sheets seem to be updated with that info. But it might cause regulators to do the same as here: make it available for professional use only.

I get my IBA from China now.

Csmdad

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I'm just getting started here and haven't used this yet so please forgive my naiveté. What're the thoughts on the whole rooting compound v. willow water choice? I happen to have a willow in my yard and was planning to just use that as I go. I see some people saying to add aspirin to the mix. Should I consider purchasing what I had thought I'd have for free already?

---edit---
Stickroot, I've read your previous comment about willow water. I think it answers my question. What are the reasons for the aspirin additive?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Willows produca IAA. Literature says it breaks down in a few minutes.
IBA is more stable.
Aspirin has very limited antibacterial properties and it's usually stored in vescicles inside the bark, plus it's not very soluble. That makes me question the usability of willow. Some people are convinced though. But control studies I've done show no difference between controls and +willow groups.
I see it more like a fortifier than the go-to stuff. My go to stuff would be IBA all the way, or NAA as an alternative when IBA doesn't work.

Top Bottom