rooting hormone

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
with spring around the corner i've been preparing myself for all the bonsai tasks that await.

one of my goals is to finally be successful rooting cuttings.the only rooting hormone i've ever used is the stuff you find at the box stores that is .1% butyric acid.
would it be worth the money to order some of the stronger stuff .3% or .8%.

i'll mostly be doing elms and maples

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
with spring around the corner i've been preparing myself for all the bonsai tasks that await.

one of my goals is to finally be successful rooting cuttings.the only rooting hormone i've ever used is the stuff you find at the box stores that is .1% butyric acid.
would it be worth the money to order some of the stronger stuff .3% or .8%.

i'll mostly be doing elms and maples
.8 Hormex will give you a good start.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering the same thing... glad you asked.

If used.the powder stuff and some gell crap. Both did not see to work well... maby I'm using it rong.

I have had better luck just putting cuttings in water and changing out the water ever few days.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought dip n' grow which can be diluted according to type of cuttings (hardwood,softwood)

We shall see how it goes. I will be trying it on junipers elms and maples.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
rooting hormone mostly doing elms and maples
My bonsai mentor used "Dip And Grow" in the 1:15 range. I've had good success doing the same with maples and yellow plum cuttings. After dipping, the plants are put in a plant cuttings terrarium with poting soil to root, (from now on I will probably use 75% - 80% pumice instead and the rest potting soil). Terrarium is in a 70-80 degree room. Doing more air layers now to get large start size rather than pencil sized twig cuttings. Maples root fairly easy and tend to sprout even if a live branch still connected to the tree just gets a portion buried. Last december, took some branches off a fallen Alaskan Cedar. Dipped them in dip and grow and potted outside. These branches are still pending because they have only been in soil a couple months, (research says it may take a year), couldn't get anyone in the know to tell me the viablilty of rooting 3/4" to 2" diameter Cedaar cutting stock. Hope this helps and good luck.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This I believe will increase rooting chances more than hormones do. I heard of this a while ago...actually forgot about it. I plan to try it next spring on cuttings and layers....
http://www.hort.cornell.edu/uhi/research/articles/HortSci 22(5).pdf
Also Google.... stock plant etiolation and stem banding for more information...

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Dip n grow because it's adjustable or hormex powders which come in different strengths. Also was in the hydro store and they aware by so.e gel stuff. The thought is that it sticks to the roots.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just shove cutting in a tray or the container the mother plant is in. I have only done elm and amur maple but from what I see for those 2 no hormone is needed.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dip n grow because it's adjustable or hormex powders which come in different strengths. Also was in the hydro store and they aware by so.e gel stuff. The thought is that it sticks to the roots.
Just make SURE you DO NOT let the dip n' grow come in contact with your skin.

Its not fun.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just make SURE you DO NOT let the dip n' grow come in contact with your skin.
b1c2947666fc404dab19a7184ca87b46.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If doing softwood or semi ripe,I believe the semi ripe to be easier.
In the picture below I used peat moss on these Zelkova with a rooting gel dip.
The softer ones that look all luxurious and red all rotted,but the green leaf ones on the other side of the flat were just starting to get a bit woody( actually semi ripe) had 100 percent success with the propagator cover over them.Takes a month for me in shade of tall trees. Started in first week of june.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom