Rooting maple in water?

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is it possible for a maple branch (or even the bigger part of a maple tree) to root in water? For example, you cut a branch and just place it in water instead of soil?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on the tree species. Maples? Not really all that possible.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How about deshojo?
It's a dwarf and it's red. It's not going to be easier to root than other Japanese maples.

I've tried rooting red maples, Norway maples, sugar maples, and Japanese maples in water. Softwood and hardwood cuttings. The rot sets in way before roots start growing. Didn't matter if they were in running water or standing water, they rotted on me.

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's a dwarf and it's red. It's not going to be easier to root than other Japanese maples.

I've tried rooting red maples, Norway maples, sugar maples, and Japanese maples in water. Softwood and hardwood cuttings. The rot sets in way before roots start growing. Didn't matter if they were in running water or standing water, they rotted on me.

Well, damn! I tried to air layer this Deshojo, month and half later, not a single root, not even starting. I know it takes time, but my gut's telling me this will be a failure. That's why I asked about another option. I guess I'll leave it as it is and see if the air layering will work after all...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, damn! I tried to air layer this Deshojo, month and half later, not a single root, not even starting. I know it takes time, but my gut's telling me this will be a failure. That's why I asked about another option. I guess I'll leave it as it is and see if the air layering will work after all...
Don't know what your climate is like, but if the tree is outside in the cold, it has most likely been dormant --inactive and not producing roots. If the tree is inside, it could be too weak to root..

Best time to air layer (and it should be done outside) is in June around here, the most active growth period for maples. The warmer air can help air layers along. Cold air does the opposite. Freezing temperatures can kill off roots.

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't know what your climate is like, but if the tree is outside in the cold, it has most likely been dormant --inactive and not producing roots. If the tree is inside, it could be too weak to root..

Best time to air layer (and it should be done outside) is in June around here, the most active growth period for maples. The warmer air can help air layers along. Cold air does the opposite. Freezing temperatures can kill off roots.

Right now its quite warm here - 23C / 73.4F. The tree is outside but I think I made a mistake with the early air layering attempt.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
According to Bill Valavanis deshojo is hard to root.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Right now its quite warm here - 23C / 73.4F. The tree is outside but I think I made a mistake with the early air layering attempt.
What temperature is it at night? If it's not above ~55F, it's not warm enough to encourage root growth. How many leaves are distal to the layer? How thick is the piece you're trying to root?

It's been my experience that trees are a lot more enthusiastic about air layers and ground layers than they are about rooting from cuttings.

Speaking of ground layering... by my reading, dogwoods won't air layer well but they will ground layer pretty happily. The same may be true of your maple.

Last edited:

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You may be lucky and find different but the likely outcome would be the cuttings push all their energy into leaf and then wither. You may have more luck using sweating. Look it up.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Whats the best strategy to propagate deshojo, then? Cuttings? (Ir airlayers are hard to root)

I ask because i have one and I'm wanting to propagate it

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Whats the best strategy to propagate deshojo, then? Cuttings? (Ir airlayers are hard to root)

I ask because i have one and I'm wanting to propagate it

I've had a lot more luck with air layers than I have with cuttings. If you think about it, there's a pretty good reason why.

papymandarin

Shohin
Reaction score
for deshojo i don't know about cuttings but it layers well, but the feeling i have from my trees is that on their own roots it's better to treat them more "gently" than you can do with regular palmatum for repotting (the same is even more true for Sangokaki, while Katsura roots seems nearly as srong as standard palmatum) and they fear more too much humidity during winter

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not a single cutting survived for me out of ... idk, maybe 10.

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What do you know, the air layer actually worked. I see some roots starting to develop!

Attachments

• IMG_6059.JPG
    IMG_6059.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 54

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it possible for a maple branch (or even the bigger part of a maple tree) to root in water? For example, you cut a branch and just place it in water instead of soil?
The answer to this question is no, but they will strike roots in pumice fines (1/16-). I take cuttings of one and two years old shoots just after the buds begin to move in spring up until the leaves begin to pop. These are planted in six inch pots full of the fines with four to six inches of the cuttings buried, depending on the size of the cuttings. I have started up to 1/4" pieces this way, and not only maple. I have done hawthorn and hornbeam, shimpaku and cypress, birch, alder, ash, elm, and box. You name it, I could go on, but I haven't found that won't jumpstart in this stuff.
Now the trick is to keep your starts going through the first summer. They need the sun to stimulate them, but just a splash of direct morning and then bright shade.They must be flushed everyday and the hotter it gets maybe twice.
If you can't get any pumice fines let me know, I have a thirty gallon trash can full of it and I get more every time I sift out some pumice. Please, have some LOL

Top Bottom