Rooting pines from cuttings

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
This has come up in more than one thread so I went digging through my old books and found my copy of the reference manual of woody plant propagation by Michael dirr. It and the plant propagator society papers it cites are what many professionals use as a reference. I took photos of the sections on pine tree species where it listed information for cuttings (only a few did because a vast majority are grafted for cultivars or seed grown for species trees)

Obviously other species are possible just not easy or commercially viable. There are pics of JBP from cuttings on this thread. Personally if I were to try it I'd use my homemade fog aeroponic cloner, maybe that's another thread...

Anyway if you have had success with pine please describe you methods here on this thread...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you get everything right, I'm told it can be done, but the set up has to be perfect. Bottom heat, overheat mist on timers, mist every 15 minutes or so. And the list goes on. And the cuttings have to be the right age, young candles, partially hardened off, but not fully lignified. When it all comes together, 50% or better will strike roots. I have never been able to get it all close enough. So far, personally, I've had a 0.0% success rate with cuttings out of 20+ attempts over 10 years. I have had some success with air layering JBP, about 4 out of 6 attempts. 0% success with JWP air layers out of 5 attempts.

So while it can be done, success is not guaranteed, DIrr is the best, fact based reference, others tend to be more anecdotal.

Top Bottom