Roots pushing out of slab edges - BC forest

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hey All,

For the past few weeks the edges of the muck/soil have been lifting up on my Bald Cypress planting, especially when it dries up a bit. I peeked underneath and there are roots growing out the sides, and of course the drainage holes as well. Is there anything that can be done to mitigate this?

Here is a thread showing when I put it together in the winter:

The trees were growing vigorously so I've cut back about 1/4 to 1/3 of the height of each.

Obviously not a good time of year for major BC work.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

20200630_185556.jpg

20200630_185608.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Roots that grow into drier air will be air pruned. Only the exposed tip dies and the tree just grows new tips further back.
New roots do end up growing more at the bottom of the pot/slab. Over time the new layers of roots will lift the tree up. This also happens in pots and I don't think there is anything you can do about it. One of the reasons we need to repot regularly. With some bonsai it takes years. Others lift in just one season.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Bald Cypress are beasts when it comes to roots, I have had them actually break the tie in wires when they have pushed up from the amount of root growth. You can just snip the ones growing out of the drainage holes, it won't hurt anything.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can leave it completely soaked, especially since it's a bc.
You can jam more new moss under there too, eventually, when it dries, it won't have anywhere else to shrink to, so it won't expose the bottom.

Keep it wet .

Sorce

Top Bottom