Ropn's Shimpaku, first sytling results

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Could not post all photos in Post #1 on the shimpaku.

The results:

Bjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 062.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 064.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 066.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 067.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 073.jpg

I am really excited over this tree. Plans now are simply to maintain for this year, studying and selelcting the right pot, and looking forward to next year to pot the tree.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ron this is nice. I like the trunk line and base best in picture 2 in this thread. Looks like you had some fun!

(BTW, you can always reply to your own thread, and post more pics in the next post.... so you don't wind up running 2 threads of the same tree. )

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thank you, Judy. You are right it was a blast.

Never thought of replying to 1st part! Duh...

I like #2 also; however, #1 was the suggested front. #1 should look a lot better as the small branch in the center develops. Front will probably end up being an angle between #1 and #2.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That would be a good compromise, and then more of that good cleft in the trunk is exposed from the straight #1 angle. Should be fun picking out a pot, what do you see it in?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Ron.. Nice tree with good potential here. I agree and also like pic 2 quite a bit more than one. The trunk on pic 2 is very nice. It has the subtle, meandering curves that are considered very pleasing in bonsai. The trunk in pic 1 is nice, but it is very straight. Also, if you do go with pic 2, moving the apex a bit more in toward the trunk would make for a well balanced tree. However, no immediate decisions need to be made.. Just letting the tree rest is a good idea.

Nice job

Rob

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Agreed, let it rest, keep it in some shade for a couple weeks and mist it regularly.

Also, Ron didn't mention it, but the intended front was photo 1, but tilted also about 15 degrees to the left so the trunk isn't straight up.

Top Bottom