ROR Juniper

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my juniper, the other near dead one I bought 3 years ago. I posted the other one I trained into a mame size. This one I decided to grow on a rock, I found this red pumice looking rock at a nursery and shaped it a bit to stand on its own on a narrower little point, I did not get pictures as I put it on the rock over a year ago.
This is the front,
6287433537_3e66bacb56.jpg
This is for size reference.6287985692_d12587e62e.jpg
Right side 6287477291_8b9bea3975.jpg
Back side6287446673_5facc4e71a.jpg
And finally the left end, which is the way it is pointing in a windswept style, you are looking at the brnches pointing towards you.
6287973852_7c4296141e.jpg

The pics are looking form the front then turning it a quarter turn each shot.

Its been two months since I replaced the old wrap, an old shirt which held the dirt in place with a piece of burlap sack I bought. I did not check on the roots except to look at some new fine ones that were showing near the top as I was not sure how much a hold it had on the rock yet. I plan on eventually letting the soil go and just water and feed it on the rock alone as both stand and pot and medium at the same time.

Comments or critiques welcome.

ed

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Looks like a good start. I would re-bend the wires to get rid of that long, evenly-shaped rounded bow -- especially in the main trunk/branch. The branches need more abrupt movement, up, down and sideways. Pulling the entire thing down closer to the stone will help.

All that said, though, I wouldn't do anything more to it right now. Let it grow for at least another year to ensure that the roots are working for you.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Looks like a good start. I would re-bend the wires to get rid of that long, evenly-shaped rounded bow -- especially in the main trunk/branch. The branches need more abrupt movement, up, down and sideways. Pulling the entire thing down closer to the stone will help.

All that said, though, I wouldn't do anything more to it right now. Let it grow for at least another year to ensure that the roots are working for you.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was trying to get that branch to bend down, then I planned on bending it back up, to lookm like it was blown over by the wind and then started growing back towards the light. Thanks for the comment, it does look rounded now, lol, almost like a bow.

ed

Top Bottom