ROR moss

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi ,
I've just start my first ROR it's a Curry Leaf Tree ,how do you create moss on new laid bonsai mix ?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not easy. I've never been successful with moss really, especially on my bonsai mix.
I've heard that obtaining some moss from a concrete or brick surface, in a sunny spot is best, maybe it'll spread for you.
When I try moss, it usually just dries up.
Good luck.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The usual way to establish moss is to lift up slabs of suitable moss from sidewalks, carparks, etc. Slide a knife or paint scraper under and lift in slabs. If there's a thick section of soil under I trim with scissors so there's just a veneer of soil holding the slab together.
I then wet the slabs and press the moss flat. Transfer the wet slabs onto the bonsai soil and press down again to get good contact with the soil surface. I know some other growers who then use a knitting needle or similar to stab down through the moss to press some of the stems further into the soil mix. The better contact between the new moss slab and the soil the better it will take.
You may need to keep the moss fairly wet for a few days. Edges of the slabs tend to curl up if they dry out but just keep wetting and pressing down until it stays put.
The more open the soil mix and larger particles the harder it seems to be to get moss to transplant. A thin layer of finer graded soil on the surface may help.

Moss from sunnier spots seems to adapt better to bonsai culture. Look for very low growing types and pass on the taller types found in forest areas.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that ..."veneer", that's what I do, except, if it shrinks or curls, just keep jamming more in there.

I reckon more is better.

It's good to have a few moss collection sites, keep em cultivated well, always leaving enough for regrowth and collection in a couple years, we always drop random chunks on the way home to try to cultivate new locations too.

I find with a noonish watering, things stay alive rather well, prior early am watering would require a moss misting in the afternoon.

Sorce

Top Bottom