ROR, tower additon

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about the weather man? 71 degrees yesterday and now a foot (of friggin) heavy snow.

Patrik

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Poor turtle!

I know a guy who would want that duck for his wife.

I'm with you on keeping it tropical, I think the variegated leaves are going to look nice against the rock colors.

Sorce

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Isn't there a myth, maybe a Native American tribe, where the earth is on the back of a turtle?
The Onondaga, and also, Terry Pratchett's Discworld:
the_great_a__tuin_by_pythosblaze-d33o5en.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@GSCarlson - nicely done, rock looks like granite from the Collegiate peaks. Reminds me of granite along 4 Mile Creek, near the abandoned gold mine.

@base797 - don't knock the weatherman, he's my cousin. Actually he's the first one to laugh when he gets it wrong. Mountain ranges make a local forecast almosy impossible. So he tries to have a good ''comedy stand up act'' because he knows the weather is going to be wrong sometimes. He's on your FOX affiliate. Used to be on NBC affiliate. He's semi-retired now. I'm due for a Denver visit soon.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@GSCarlson - its going to take a long time to thicken the trunk. The more foliage you have the quicker it will thicken. keep it in the large pot, even consider moving it to a larger pot once the current pot is full of roots. Keep it in large pot until trunk is thick enough. As trunk back buds, keep branches in good spots for finished tree short. Let branches you know you will remove run long as sacrifice branches. Do a hard pruning only once or twice a year. keep foliage of sacrifices limited to outer portions, remove inner leaves of sacrifices to keep from shading the small branches you are keeping for future design.

Thickening a trunk in a small pot is very slow, but it can happen. Keep pot large until your trunk is as thick as you need, then to the small bonsai pot.

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@GSCarlson - nicely done, rock looks like granite from the Collegiate peaks. Reminds me of granite along 4 Mile Creek, near the abandoned gold mine.

@base797 - don't knock the weatherman, he's my cousin. Actually he's the first one to laugh when he gets it wrong. Mountain ranges make a local forecast almosy impossible. So he tries to have a good ''comedy stand up act'' because he knows the weather is going to be wrong sometimes. He's on your FOX affiliate. Used to be on NBC affiliate. He's semi-retired now. I'm due for a Denver visit soon.
Haha. I inadvertently omitted a comma. It was more like... How about the weather, man. I was merely pointing out the abrupt change we encounter most years.
I am quite familiar with orographic weather being a geographer. When I graduated from Penn State, one out of three meteorologists came from PSU. Perhaps we could arrange a visit to my garden if you get out this way, pm me.

Patrik

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for the invite.

My cousin's stage name is Nick Carter. He & I look a lot alike, except I 75 pounds heavier and I let my hair go mostly white. Nick is fun, the stand up comic in the family. I will look you up when I get there. Thanks.

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_2255.JPG
Another update photo. I peeled the moss away to check the roots and they are growing in nicely. I left the tops exposed.
And I just realized the title should be edition, not additon.

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So it is possible to kill a ficus. Who knew? I repotted, trimmed some roots. A week later it was dead..
3AD2C573-5016-44EE-8221-9D177C017BB7.jpeg
65E5C14E-49DD-4BBD-BEDC-187DEB0F37B1.jpeg

Top Bottom