ROR Trident Maple Clump

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
A friend and member of one of the groups I attend is having to move from the house he’s been in for 30 years, and will now be in a climate where he can’t keep a lot of his trees healthy. I bought a number of them to take over their care and work on progressing their design. This is a ROR trident maple clump. It was originally 7 trunks, but one in the back has died, but hasn’t been removed. I love the overall feel of this group, but there are quite a few primary branches that have very little movement or taper, and I feel the whole image wants to be compacted pretty significantly, so I would like to regrow a lot of branches to make this as good as I possibly can. I have not worked with any maples this far in their development, so I want to share what I’m thinking toward future development and get some insight and advice from all of you bonsai veterans.D1E08FE6-4A39-46C8-BB47-5B7292551F4D.jpeg56EE0249-CF29-4EBB-B50F-EDCCAB2E2134.jpeg
If you look closely at the full image you will see a number of areas much like this, where numerous branches and upper trunk sections are lacking movement and taper.
D0838714-B522-4103-ACCF-AEFD097D078B.jpeg
My thoughts would be to make cuts here and redevelop these branches. I’m using this section as an example, as there are many just like it throughout the tree. Does this seem like the right approach, or would anyone recommend cutting back More or less than I am thinking?

CCAF26C8-A373-411F-8D6E-E6ED0D52E83A.jpeg
I feel like this tree has a ton of potential if I can remedy what I see as some flaws and I really want to get it on track to be something very special. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated as always.
Josh

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A friend and member of one of the groups I attend is having to move from the house he’s been in for 30 years, and will now be in a climate where he can’t keep a lot of his trees healthy. I bought a number of them to take over their care and work on progressing their design. This is a ROR trident maple clump. It was originally 7 trunks, but one in the back has died, but hasn’t been removed. I love the overall feel of this group, but there are quite a few primary branches that have very little movement or taper, and I feel the whole image wants to be compacted pretty significantly, so I would like to regrow a lot of branches to make this as good as I possibly can. I have not worked with any maples this far in their development, so I want to share what I’m thinking toward future development and get some insight and advice from all of you bonsai veterans.View attachment 196693View attachment 196694
If you look closely at the full image you will see a number of areas much like this, where numerous branches and upper trunk sections are lacking movement and taper.
View attachment 196700
My thoughts would be to make cuts here and redevelop these branches. I’m using this section as an example, as there are many just like it throughout the tree. Does this seem like the right approach, or would anyone recommend cutting back More or less than I am thinking?

View attachment 196701
I feel like this tree has a ton of potential if I can remedy what I see as some flaws and I really want to get it on track to be something very special. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated as always.
Josh
I agree with your thought process that the tree requires cut back to rebuild sections for better ramification.
I would suggest you begin by repotting the tree and established a vigorous, healthy tree prior to major work. Unless of course you have already checked the roots and are aware of the situation. I am reflecting on the overall look and the mention of one trunk dying in the composition. As a general rule when i acquire a tree from someone else the first step is to repot at the first appropriate time. This gives me the foundation for future planned work based on a healthy tree going forward.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I agree with your thought process that the tree requires cut back to rebuild sections for better ramification.
I would suggest you begin by repotting the tree and established a vigorous, healthy tree prior to major work. Unless of course you have already checked the roots and are aware of the situation. I am reflecting on the overall look and the mention of one trunk dying in the composition. As a general rule when i acquire a tree from someone else the first step is to repot at the first appropriate time. This gives me the foundation for future planned work based on a healthy tree going forward.
He repotted this tree this spring into potting soil mixed with pumice, so I will certainly be looking to get it into proper soil next spring. Hopefully it will show some vigor when it’s feet are happier. Thank you for your advice.

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
He repotted this tree this spring into potting soil mixed with pumice, so I will certainly be looking to get it into proper soil next spring. Hopefully it will show some vigor when it’s feet are happier. Thank you for your advice.
Where did this end up?

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Where did this end up?
Having moved cross country twice in the past two years, I have done very little significant work on any of my trees, as I’ve just been trying to keep stuff alive. This tree is happy in a modified Anderson flat and I am hoping to work on it this year if it is looking healthy.

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
Well, when I asked “where did this tree end up”, I didn’t think moving across the country twice would be the answer!

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Definitely doing the right thing by just keeping it alive and healthy for now. It has the bones of a very nice tree

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Definitely doing the right thing by just keeping it alive and healthy for now. It has the bones of a very nice tree
It does indeed, and last year was a rough year in the garden for me, as these drastic moves were followed by a record heat wave in the PNW that destroyed all of my most well developed trees, and now we’re still seeing mid 20s at night, so I’m walking on bonsai eggshells going into spring here just hoping things wake up ok. 🤞🤞🤞

Top Bottom