ROR Trident Maple

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
My club, the Azalea City Bonsai Society, had their spring show today and I thought I would share a tree that I found very fascinating, Joe Day's ROR trident maple. I like it as for one, the rock is in proportion to the tree. It actually looks like at tree that is hanging on to a crag somewhere, not a small rock that was stuck into the root ball that looks like the tree is "pooping" out a rock. Also, what I found intriguing as a future project, is that each of the "roots" is an individual tree. The saplings were trained over the rock, then bound, and fused to form the tree. Cool, huh?

Here it is:

DSC09560-1.jpg

DSC09563-1.jpg

DSC09565-1.jpg

I have more pictures from the show, I will be posting them in the next few days on the Heartofdixiebonsai.com . Make sure to check them out.

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
Really cool! Is the Selaginella (I hope I said that right) there just for the show, or can it actually be grown with the tree?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Really cool! Is the Selaginella (I hope I said that right) there just for the show, or can it actually be grown with the tree?

I can actually be grown with the tree, if desired. It is the gift that keeps on giving, I received some as a small accent plant several years ago, I now have it growing in and on everything. You cannot get rid of it. I suspect that is what Joe has going on, it looks good when small, but will quickly take over a pot if you don't keep it in check. I was told it was a type fern, but it does look a lot like selaginella.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While in arch grafts are fascinating, I am really not a fan of the ‘roots’ looking like that. Much too coarse and stick straight, making it look artificial to me and it isn’t actually roots at all. Still I can applaud the creativity and grafting skill.

Top Bottom