Reaction score
USDA Zone
#2, spring root work: exposing cambium and using moss to close the gap between the bottom of the trunk and the stone, and also developing a nice radial nebari at the bottom of the stone. then, this AM:

Nice job Brian, I have a similar ror issue. Would you do anything different next time?

I was thinking I might scratch the underside a little and paint some clonex on the entire underside before packing. Would you recommend trying this?

It's my second ror and it's well formed around most of the rock and taped with grafting tape.

Did both alone and totally hear you on needing a hand. If I try again alone I think I will include a small vice and rubber pads.

Very curious about timing exposure properly this winter. I was thinking 1"~1/2" every 2 months but this will be a first. Plan to read up more this winter but would be interested in your thoughts on exposure too.

They already have 3 nice palm sized pads of fibrous root so I want to be as speedy as possible on the exposure.

Attachments

• IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1661.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 142

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice job Brian, I have a similar ror issue. Would you do anything different next time?

I was thinking I might scratch the underside a little and paint some clonex on the entire underside before packing. Would you recommend trying this?

It's my second ror and it's well formed around most of the rock and taped with grafting tape.

Did both alone and totally hear you on needing a hand. If I try again alone I think I will include a small vice and rubber pads.

Very curious about timing exposure properly this winter. I was thinking 1"~1/2" every 2 months but this will be a first. Plan to read up more this winter but would be interested in your thoughts on exposure too.

They already have 3 nice palm sized pads of fibrous root so I want to be as speedy as possible on the exposure.
Consider starting a new thread to discuss your specific tree.

From the photos, it looks like you have quite a gap to close, but it’s difficult to really tell what all is going on. If it’s still pliable, you might consider resetting it, splitting roots and trunk a little if necessary to help close the gap.

You didn’t say what kind of tree it is...looks like some type of euonymus. If so, they have fibrous root systems, are slow to trunk up and even slower to close wounds. These are traits that make their use for ROR very challenging. You want something that grows strong roots, bulks up quickly, and closes wounds.

You asked what I would do differently? I’d leave the roots covered a year or two longer to ensure better adherence to the rock.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fall color is getting good.
View attachment 271158

Great tree Brian! As always, thanks for posting.

I have a quick question. Is your design purposely covering the trunk? Possibly to give more attention to the roots?

W/o a view of the trunk, the composition feels a tad “off” to me. Like there are two great pieces in the composition (the roots over rock and the foliage crown), but lacks something connecting the two. But many times in Bonsai, I don’t understand certain aesthetic principles of design, so maybe I’m not understanding your thought process.

To be sure, I’ve never designed or worked on any deciduous tree of this caliber, so please don’t take my questions as any sort of criticism!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like this trident. HOwever.. Is it just the shadow? Or has it pushed away from the rock a little?

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I haven’t looked at this thread in a while, but, I was on Instagram and came across a photo of a trident and the root system is so different it’s instantly recognizable. Great job on this tree, one of a kind. 097E9535-C7C1-4ABC-A388-9AE329F49E72.png

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ha! That’s it, from about 5 years ago. I can tell because I had an expensive but crappy camera for about 2 months in 2015, and I instantly recognize photos from that camera!
Thanks for sharing, always interesting to see photographs pop up from unexpected places.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fantastic Brian. It's great to see it's development over the years. The ramification is coming along nicely. How big is the tree from lip of the pot to the apex?

I've started a couple small root over rock Tridents this year. They're both on red lava rocks. If they develop anywhere near as nice as this one I will be quite pleased. Keep up the great work 👍

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Fantastic Brian. It's great to see it's development over the years. The ramification is coming along nicely. How big is the tree from lip of the pot to the apex?

I've started a couple small root over rock Tridents this year. They're both on red lava rocks. If they develop anywhere near as nice as this one I will be quite pleased. Keep up the great work 👍
Thanks, it’s about 11” tall. Best of luck with your projects too! I have one more rock that I’d like to try another trident ROR project with, maybe this spring.

Top Bottom