AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi Brian! I love everything about this tree! It’s a real inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing it’s development over the years.

Please can you explain how you managed it over its first few years? For example, do you have to repot it every year when it’s young to make sure the roots are growing where you want them? Or do you just wrap them up and then leave them alone for a few years? How did you fertilise when they’re young and have no roots at the bottom to get to nutrients? Do you have to use liquid fertiliser so you can get the water between the rock and the wrap?

Thanks again.

Andy

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This has turned out so nice. Part of me wishes it had a drop branch to about halfway down the rock on the left side... 😁
What do you think drop branch Murphy?
I agree. Maybe not a severe drop branch but maybe just like a quarter of the way down the rock. I think it would help with visual balance, help fill in the negative space a bit, and also make it look less like just an afro perched on top on the rock.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Brian Van Fleet How tall is the tree from the base of the trunk/top of the roots to the top of the tallest branch?
Seems like the leaves reduced nicely for you

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Brian Van Fleet How tall is the tree from the base of the trunk/top of the roots to the top of the tallest branch?
Seems like the leaves reduced nicely for you
They’re getting on down there in size. By mid summer it will have 1/2” leaves in places.
2754D279-9525-4880-8A80-0D6D57ADAB57.jpeg

Top Bottom