Rosade bonsai's container room

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nostalgic post....If you scroll through Rosade Bonsai Studio's gallery page, you will see photos of the rooms where Chase sells containers.

I rememberwalking through there 20 years ago and seeing my first authentic Big Japanese tokoname pots, as well as pots from folks like Bryan Albright, Peter Krebs, Don Gould, Dan Barton and Petra Hahn. This was well before anyone in the West was regularly importing Japanese pots, and Western potters were few and far between (and mostly in Europe).

I also remember getting a good talking to from my wife on why I shouldn't have spent all that $$ on bonsai pots because we had a new mortgage to pay ;-)

Looks like Chase's pot rooms are still well stocked with excellent stuff...

http://www.rosadebonsai.com/Bonsai-Trees.html

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mind if I also share...........

Hmm very nostalgic memory, Rosades in 1979 or was it 1980.
He had an exhibition at Wanamakers [ ? ] three floors in Autumn,
Visited in late Summer with K and his friend, got trees, pots and books.
Lots of impact.

Saw that trees had back branches -:):eek::eek:
Good Day
Anthony

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I live painfully close to this studio and still haven't made an appointment to stop in. I think I was afraid because I was so "green" in the hobby and poor. I'm still poor but now I'm willing to spend what I have on bonsai stuff. Gotta stop by in July

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live painfully close to this studio and still haven't made an appointment to stop in. I think I was afraid because I was so "green" in the hobby and poor. I'm still poor but now I'm willing to spend what I have on bonsai stuff. Gotta stop by in July

You will most likely be poorer after you go. FWIW, I had only been doing bonsai for about three years when I first went to see Chase at the nursery. I walked out with an expensive imported Korean Hornbeam bonsai on my first trip. I had to scramble to learn how to take care of that tree. It taught me a ton and expanded my bonsai horizons tremendously. From then on, I used to visit him every year. I bought a number of big pots from him over the years. Most of which I still have and refuse to sell. I stopped going about ten years ago, after I found the eight hour round trip harder and harder to easily pull off.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@rockm that settles it. I'm definitely headed there next month. I'm actually on my third (serious) growing season too. I am fortunate that my girlfriend loves poking around New Hope she puts up with my little trees for a few hours and I buy her brunch and shop around for knick knack stuff

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FYI, he's a bit outside of town, but not that far. You can let your girlfriend rummage through the crap in New Hope, while you spend $$ at the studio on stuff she doesn't need to see and isn't interested in ;-) That's how I handled it with my wife. ;-)

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow when I lived in NY I didn't know about this place.......... I used to go to doylestown...I think that is how you spell it for business and I guess I passed this place every time.....

I like seeing the nostalgia on the thread. Next time I go up to visit family I am going to stop here. Hopefully this fall so I can see some color......

Getting bored of "Florida Green" LOL

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@StoneCloud 20 minutes outside of New Hope there's a legit bonsai nursery called "all shapes bonsai". I don't think it is quite up to par with Rosade but when I say legit I mean it has quite a few greenhouses full of stuff. I feel that the pricing is decent it just happens to be mostly pre-bonsai or shohin sized stuff. No reason to visit one and not the other if you're going to be in town

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@StoneCloud 20 minutes outside of New Hope there's a legit bonsai nursery called "all shapes bonsai". I don't think it is quite up to par with Rosade but when I say legit I mean it has quite a few greenhouses full of stuff. I feel that the pricing is decent it just happens to be mostly pre-bonsai or shohin sized stuff. No reason to visit one and not the other if you're going to be in town
There probably is reason to visit both.

Chase doesn't sell pre-bonsai stuff, or at least he doesn' t have a lot of it. I haven't been there in some time, but I bought several pretty advanced trees from him. I don't know what he's got on hand now though. I would expect more advanced stuff, given he has been doing bonsai since the 1970's and he was a pioneer in studying bonsai in Japan. He's also a founding member of the American Bonsai Society and has at least one tree in the collection at the National Arboretum (A beautiful European hornbeam)

I haven't been to all shapes, though.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All shapes is great for a guy like me, like I said I'm new. Rosade seems like the grown ups version haha. I can't see myself buying a tree this year but I look forward to perusing them and definitely leaving with a pot or 2

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@rockm
@GGB

I am familiar w/ All shapes though I've never been. Thanks to both for the info on these places, definitely a list on the places to stop at when i'm up there again.

Bonsai trips are always fun!

Reactions: GGB

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What ever happened to Persiano?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FYI, he's a bit outside of town, but not that far. You can let your girlfriend rummage through the crap in New Hope, while you spend $$ at the studio on stuff she doesn't need to see and isn't interested in ;-) That's how I handled it with my wife. ;-)
Also FWIW, take your significant other with you on the second or third visit. Mine chatted Chase up asking about where the best bars are in New Hope. He gave us a great one to go to. She also has a hard nosed negotiating side and talked him out of a HUGE tokoname pot at cost...

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Damn Rockm, wish my girl was a natural haggler but she's basically the opposite haha. If she wants something she buys it without even checking the price.

Top Bottom