Rosade Studio in New Hope, PA

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Anyone have any comments, positive or negative regarding Chase's studio and classes? I'm signed up for a workshop and wanted to hear other's thoughts.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He is a EXCELLENT. I've not taken his classes, but have been to his studio many many times over the last 20 years. He has always been more than helpful with material and with humor. Keep your ears open, he has a lot to teach.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Chase is not only is vastly experienced sensitive practitioner with a top notch studio but also a generous teacher and loving guy. Have fun!

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yea, pretty excited to check out the studio. It's appointment only, so I've been hesitant to call and have them open it up just for me to go wander around admiring. This gives me the chance to learn a little something, work on my plants and check out their stuff. After doing some reading and checking out the website, I'm thinking I'll have a pretty good time. I'll be sure to post on here how it went and take some photos of some of his work.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lucky you.... Chase is a great guy.... has a lot to teach and if you open your mind you will find yourself rejuvenated with inspiration ..... have a great time.... you lucky dog :)

Larix

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
While your'e in New Hope, travel east to Ringoes in NJ and check out All Shapes Bonsai

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Chase is a great guy, and teacher. I took my first bonsai class there with Chase many years ago. Introduction to bonsai, that may not be the name exactly, but, same info.

Chase taught part of the class, and his wife Solita, taught the other part. Great class, if that is the one you are taking. First thing I learned is that I didn't know half the things I thought I did.

I have taken many classes with Chase and others over the years, and guess what? I still find myself saying, "you don't know half the things you thought you did"

Have fun in your class. Watch and listen to everything he has to say. He has been doing it for a long time. And by all means, spend some time walking around the nursery. He has some great trees there.

BoneSci

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've taken multiple classes with Chase and they have all been great. He is a great teacher and you feel very comfortable. To give you an idea here is a little story that I think describes him well:
We were in the middle of an azalea class and a younger customer came in with his mother and a japanese maple bonsai. Chase stopped the class, put the maple on the table and asked us all how we would approach the maple to make it better. He went over the maple is if he was doing a demo, address our suggestions as well as questions by the customer. It was a great learning experience for everyone and the young customer, who started off a little intimidated, left with confidence and a smile.

Enjoy it!
Chris

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have know Chase for years and worked with him at a couple of shows. He is a first class humane being and a competant bonsaiist and artist. He has the ability to think outside the box as well as working within established and traditional models. Honest and unpretentious. He's a Rightious Dude.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
The reviews keep coming... Thanks everyone for responding!

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You know we are all looking for you to post pics and your own interpretation of Chase and your experience with your class, right?

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Not a problem. Class is June 30th... Indoor tropical class. Wanted to do a few others, but schedule hasn't allowed for it. Plan on bringing a Fukien Tea and Ficus B. Kiki to mess around with. Maybe pick up something else when I'm there... Not big on spending a lot of money on purchasing plants though.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep an eye out for bonsai pots. I haven't been up there for a while, but Chase had a pretty nice selection of high end containers. He used to deal on price too. I picked up several Bryan Albright pots and a huge 24" x 12" tokoname pot for cost on one visit.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
@rockm

I'm hoping he's got some nice grow containers. Aside from my tropicals, I really only have a bunch of pre-bonsai material. Certainly nothing worthy of a high end container... yet anyways. Although that doesn't mean I can't buy one if the price is right or something catches my eye!

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Had a great time checking out Chase's studio and sitting in on his tropicals workshop this past weekend. His place was pretty amazing. Has certainly accumulated quite an impressive collection of plants.

Was extremely friendly and I found him very easy to talk with. Looking forward to getting back there to shop, peruse, learn, admire, bs, etc.

If you're in the greater Philadelphia area, I definitely suggest calling and stopping in. He's also associated with the PA Bonsai Society, which I believe meets in Fort Washington.

IMG_20120630_124223_rev.jpg
Believe his earliest tree he still has, planted from seed in I want to say '58
Few other pics from the main area
IMG_20120630_091114_rev.jpg
IMG_20120630_091652_rev.jpg
IMG_20120630_091710_rev.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Chase Rosade is a class act to boot. Honest and humble and extremely knowledgeable in all things bonsai. After being a fan of his for many years, I finally met him for the first time last Fall and loved his nursery. Seemingly he has everything growing under the sun. Being the nut that I am with regards to Japanese maples, I ended up purchasing one from his personal collection which I needed as much as I needed a hole in my head!! :mad: He kept it there at his place all winter long and repotted it for me and put it in a really nice pot at no extra charge for the materials or his time. Great guy! :)

Top Bottom