Rose Bush Fertilizer

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I saw a good deal on a couple of jugs of the slow dissolving beads of Rose Fertilizer. Roses like acid and there is sulfur in the mix of this for that reason.

Is it OK to use on Bonsai growing in neutral medium? Would the acid being added by the slow dissolution cause problems? At $5.00 per two lb. jug is is hard to pass up if it is usable.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Probably OK for azalea and other flowering bonsai.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're planning on using it on plants other than flowering ones, I'd pass it up.

Flowering plant ferts have high Phosphorous content (the P in the NPK). Phophorous goes goes to flower and woody stem development. While that's great for flowering plants, I was told only recently by a long-time bonsai nursery owner to stay away from high Phosphorous feed. He said it tends to cause over-elongation in new shoots and stems. He said high Phosphorous will push trees to extend longer looser shoots rather than developing tight close growth and smaller internode growth.

Given that I've bought plants from him that have begun with tight close ramification, only to lose some of it when I began feeding regular old Miracle Grow, I believe him. I'm searching for feed that is along the line of 15-4-15 or similar. It's specialized and I've noticed that larger nurseries don't stock it.

It's not really that critical in regular balanced ferts, but with rose fert you will be giving a double dose of it every feeding...

Bones

Seedling
Reaction score
Having read the comment from rockm a number of times I feel that I must respond to it.

Where does it say that phosphorus will lead to an elongation of growth?
Of course using Miracle grow will lead to growth elongation, because ,it has a high Nitrogen content. It is Nitrogen that leads to elongation and new growth, that is a basic fundamental of understanding fertilisers.
Phosphorus assists in strong root growth.

The feeding of 0-10-10 in early Autumn will assist your trees to get through winter.

Perhaps the following link will help you www.evergreengardenworks.com/fertiliz.htm

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You misunderstand what I wrote. The strict definitions as to what N P K is not all that strict. There are interralated. Saying one does this, the other does that is not all that accurate.

I didn't say P isn't necessary. Said using it can contribute to longer shoot growth. The element contributes to woody tissue growth -- new shoots and stem growth--especially in younger plants. P is necessary, but, according to the bonsai nursery I've worked with for almost 20 years, it can cause longer than necessary growth in shoots. Limiting the ratio in fertilizer can work to keep growth tighter on the plant. I have no reason to doubt what they say. Their trees do have tighter growth than mine and I use balanced fertilizer.

Brent's article doesn't address any of this.

The myth of low-N fertilizer in fall lives on. It's a myth. You can use balanced fert into the fall. The plant simply doesn't use what it doesn't need at the time. It doesn't need N, so it doesn't use it.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Mac,
What's the NPK analysis on your rose fertilizer?

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm searching for feed that is along the line of 15-4-15 or similar. It's specialized and I've noticed that larger nurseries don't stock it.
QUOTE]

Orchid growers use a fertilizer with the generic name MSU or Michigan State Univ. It is available in two variations depending on the minerals in your water. The one for Rain/reverse osmosis water/city water low in minerals has extra Calcium and Magnesium. It is 13-3-15 8Ca-2Mg. See https://www.msu.edu/~goddengr/publications/publications.htm The variation for well water does not have the extra minerals.

It is available from ordhid suppliers like http://www.repotme.com/orchid-fertilizer/ or http://www.firstrays.com/

My city water is very low in calcium so I am using the MSU with extra calcium. It really did wonders for my orchids last year so this year I am using it with my bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mac,
What's the NPK analysis on your rose fertilizer?

capnk, It is 9-18-9 and has 20% sulfur to boost the soil acid for roses. It is a Miracle Grow product that is in the slow release bead format. As I said, it was a close out item at a nursery and at $5 per jug I just couldn't leave it there.

Mac

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
My city water is very low in calcium so I am using the MSU with extra calcium. It really did wonders for my orchids last year so this year I am using it with my bonsai.

You might want to be a bit careful. Few trees like soils that are high in Ca. NEVER fertilize azalea or any other ericaceous plant with that fertilizer. The only trees I know of that seek higher Ca soils are some of the dry-land juniper from western North America, though there probably are a few others.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Mac,
You can put that fertilizer on many trees with no worry. Not many trees are particular about seeking a high pH (but there are some).
What kind of trees are you fertilizing?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mac,
You can put that fertilizer on many trees with no worry. Not many trees are particular about seeking a high pH (but there are some).
What kind of trees are you fertilizing?
American Red Maple, American Beech, Limber Pine, Japanese Red Pine, Japanese White Pine, spruces, Crab Apples, Bald Cypress. Just general run of the mill bonsai.

Top Bottom