Rose Bush?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I found that keeping nitrogen levels low for the first half of the year really helped keep the branches tight, and avoid 6’ shoots. It’s totally capable of that. With blooms forming on new terminal growth, withholding fertilizer was the only way to keep the blooms close to the trunk for that exhibition.

Thanks Owen, this tip is really helpful.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Call it 'Crackers'
'cause it ain't the other two.

Nice color, nothing wrong with trying to get this bush to bonsai. Follow Owen Reich's advice.

Actually looks like a hybrid tea, an old hybrid, but good enough.

Dalsom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here’s my Lady Banks rose.
I love it in late winter. I totally defoliate it and trim it back. It’s winter silhouette reminds me so much of an Ume (plum).
Branches hate to be wired. They seem to wither and die anytime I put wire in it, so I just apply clip and grow.

Attachments

• 3B786630-DFBC-402B-8EB4-E850992610C2.jpeg
    3B786630-DFBC-402B-8EB4-E850992610C2.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 57

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Call it 'Crackers'
'cause it ain't the other two.

Nice color, nothing wrong with trying to get this bush to bonsai. Follow Owen Reich's advice.

Actually looks like a hybrid tea, an old hybrid, but good enough.
was hoping for a cracker rose but not so. Guessing they had some oddballs around that never were used and this is one. The wife likes it so it goes in a nice pot this spring and I'll see what happens.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Today. Potted it up in a cheap Ollies Closeout Store pot a month or so ago. There is a shoot coming out of what is probably the rootstock. Everything below the big knuckle on the trunk was buried in the original soil flowers are already a bit smaller than the originals and fade out to a mottled pink after starting out the deeper color.

Attachments

• DSCN7515.JPG
    DSCN7515.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN7512.JPG
    DSCN7512.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN7513.JPG
    DSCN7513.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN7514.JPG
    DSCN7514.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 8

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Glad it is healthy and growing. Nice flowers.

Probably 'Jackson's Tuscan Sun' as Jackson-Perkins was one of the largest commercial rose producers in the USA.

One option would be to try to air layer right at or just a touch below the widest point of the knuckle. That would get rid of the long neck between the nebari of the understock and the 'Tuscan Sun' portion of the rose. It would also leave you with the understock as a separate rose for training. Both knots of wood look over 2 inches in diameter, and real ''trunks'' in roses are rare, so it would be worth preserving both as separate trees.

You can also take late summer cuttings of 'Tuscan Sun' portions, (semi-hardwood cuttings). They will root over the winter. I have gotten roots without use of any rooting hormones, but only about a 33% take rate. The cuttings will be on their own roots, and since you are in a Florida climate, they will be just as vigorous or even more so than the grafted roses.

Grafted roses are quicker than from cuttings, so this is the commercial propagation method by choice, but most roses on their own roots are just as vigorous as any of the grafted roses, once they size up. Occasionally grafting is done to increase winter hardiness, but except for those of us in zone 5 and colder, almost all roses are winter hardy in zone 6 and warmer.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Glad it is healthy and growing. Nice flowers.

Probably 'Jackson's Tuscan Sun' as Jackson-Perkins was one of the largest commercial rose producers in the USA.

One option would be to try to air layer right at or just a touch below the widest point of the knuckle. That would get rid of the long neck between the nebari of the understock and the 'Tuscan Sun' portion of the rose. It would also leave you with the understock as a separate rose for training. Both knots of wood look over 2 inches in diameter, and real ''trunks'' in roses are rare, so it would be worth preserving both as separate trees.

You can also take late summer cuttings of 'Tuscan Sun' portions, (semi-hardwood cuttings). They will root over the winter. I have gotten roots without use of any rooting hormones, but only about a 33% take rate. The cuttings will be on their own roots, and since you are in a Florida climate, they will be just as vigorous or even more so than the grafted roses.

Grafted roses are quicker than from cuttings, so this is the commercial propagation method by choice, but most roses on their own roots are just as vigorous as any of the grafted roses, once they size up. Occasionally grafting is done to increase winter hardiness, but except for those of us in zone 5 and colder, almost all roses are winter hardy in zone 6 and warmer.
I already have a hardwood piece growing well in a small dish. The flowers on it have been smaller so far. A lot of that fat knuckle area is moss I need to clean off. The rootbase is really nice and I am waiting to see what the shoot is near the base and then I may airlayer off the top. Otherwise I kind of like the ugly base topped with the nice flowers. I did get it confirmed as a JACthain Floribunda Tuscan Rose.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I was guessing, especially with the atypical capitalization, 'JACthain Floribunda Tuscan Rose' is probably the correct registered cultivar name. That looks correct.
I was curious about that capitalization too, but can find no explanation for it. Odd that the flowers seem to be reducing in size and the coloration is different than the original blooms I got. I've been doing liquid feed until monsoon season started and slow release on it .

Top Bottom