Rosemary bonsai?

Peterkorea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi,

I'd like to start creating a bonsai, so I chose a creeping rosemary. It's cheap and I'm not attached to it.

Could this plant tolerate having more than 50% of its roots removed in one go?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One way to know for sure!
Do it!

Indoors or out? I dunno your climate either....
As long as its growing, and has time to recover before cold weather, is say go for it.

Oh, and welcome to the Nut House!

Peterkorea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like that approach.
I'll give it a try.
I've got to start somewhere instead of looking at the beautiful photos of other people's achievements.
Thanks.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They drop dead on a dime

Right. Saw one or two good ones worked by people living in the south of France where it's its natural environment, but they're short-lived when potted.

Anyway, if you bear that in mind, you can try, but don't think it will be a bed of roses...

D

Deleted member 21616

welcome to the forum

i would recommend adding your location to your profile to make conversation easier and more helpful

I'd like to start creating a bonsai, so I chose a creeping rosemary ... I've got to start somewhere instead of looking at the beautiful photos of other people's achievements.

i would recommend visiting local bonsai nurseries, to find out what types of plants people are using in your area. beginner workshops and courses often include a tree. if you're going to start somewhere, that's where i would start. i would complement that with online learning (this forum, mirai videos, boon videos, bjorn videos, peter chan videos, etc.). fully immerse yourself, and start absorbing :)

a type of tree that is commonly used for bonsai will be easier to begin your journey with (maple, pine, juniper, for example), because answers to your questions will be easy to find. creeping rosemary (why creeping?) will be difficult to learn from, and will only slow you down!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Or possibly Korea?

You mean North Korea ?... o_O

Huh, huh... You know, years ago some of my friends couldn't get my messages because in my family name there is "kr" : the anti-spam software detected it as an attempt from north korean spammers to invade their mailbox. OK, ok, some of my posts could have been labeled as "junk", but for a professional use, it was awkward.

But I knew a girl from Phoenix, AZ, that's why... ;)

And anywayn anyone can now read "AZ" in your profile, so, everything's settled now.

Back to Rosemary (this one, I didn't have the chance to "know" personally), it's a difficult tree.

Peterkorea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ironically it seems, I've had success growing a great big rosemary bush indoors where I live (apartment). So I chose it.
I've had trouble finding the traditional species without high cost but I'm still looking.
I have no garden but I've got an enclosed area, like a glazed in verandah I suppose, which gets close to the winter outdoor temps, so plants can get their dormancy requirememts.
I love Peter Chan videos. Here's an ugly bush. Bing bang bong, here's a beautiful bonsai! He makes it look so easy, but approachable at the same time.

Thanks for all the advice!

Top Bottom