Rosemary collecting and care.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thumblessprimate's Rosemary

If anyone could offer me some tips and advice, I'd appreciate it.

I just collected a couple of rosemary; the creeping and controted type. The roots didn't seem to grow more than a foot deep. A few roots were cut in the process out of carelessness. I'm hoping that they will regrow small roots there again. I understand that rosemary grow easily as cuttings. Mature ones may be a completely different thing. I'm keeping them moist but slightly on the dry side.

As some know, our weather is funny in Texas. The low is high 30's a couple times this week. The highs is mid 50's today, then high 60s or low 70s rest of week.

I've got both of mine in well draining soil. One with equal parts pumice, akadama, and lava rock. The other with more pumice and some pine mulch as I ran out of my mix.

Water well, but letting dry out partially in between watering. This week, that may mean every 2-3 days. As it gets up to the low 80's like last week, I'm thinking watering every other day. For summer 90 to 100 degrees F, daily to every other day.

If these fellows survive a few weeks, I think there'll be something worth showing later.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If anyone could offer me some tips and advice, I'd appreciate it.

I just collected a couple of rosemary; the creeping and controted type. The roots didn't seem to grow more than a foot deep. A few roots were cut in the process out of carelessness. I'm hoping that they will regrow small roots there again. I understand that rosemary grow easily as cuttings. Mature ones may be a completely different thing. I'm keeping them moist but slightly on the dry side.

As some know, our weather is funny in Texas. The low is high 30's a couple times this week. The highs is mid 50's today, then high 60s or low 70s rest of week.

I've got both of mine in well draining soil. One with equal parts pumice, akadama, and lava rock. The other with more pumice and some pine mulch as I ran out of my mix.

Water well, but letting dry out partially in between watering. This week, that may mean every 2-3 days. As it gets up to the low 80's like last week, I'm thinking watering every other day. For summer 90 to 100 degrees F, daily to every other day.

If these fellows survive a few weeks, I think there'll be something worth showing later.

Thanks!

The paper that came with mine (purchased from a bonsai nursery)...said to let dry out almost to the point of wilting. Good luck with your collection. I know they don't like their roots messed with much...so I wish the best for you. I know to much water will make their foliage get black tips from what I've read.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Then, I'll keep an eye out on the leaves, particularly the young tips. Thanks!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here's a snapshot. I'll get better images with more details when the sun is out. I'm planning literati with this. Lil' Rosamaria stands over 1 foot and a half right now.

I've got it wired a little funny at top b/c anyone who's worked with Rosemary knows that once branches get thick they snap easily with bending. The small bunched area of growth, I'm waiting for them to grow out. I notice that little grow can be broken and lost easily as well.

I have to figure out what to do with shari and jin on Rosemary. Looking into lime sulphur and other things. I want some natural color on the deadwood.

This rosemary was in a large pot for about 10 years as skinny as it is. Its companions are chunkier.

Attachments

• DSC_2793.jpg
    DSC_2793.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 74

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The paper that came with mine (purchased from a bonsai nursery)...said to let dry out almost to the point of wilting. Good luck with your collection. I know they don't like their roots messed with much...so I wish the best for you. I know to much water will make their foliage get black tips from what I've read.

How many times a week have you been watering yours? I'm guessing you have yours indoors during this time. I've been checking around with gardeners and other forums on potted Rosemary. They say to use well draining soil, which is what we have. But they say to never let dry out, but keep moist. By that they seem to say deep water and let it get dry but not completely. Then water again.

Also, I've read that rosemary do not give signs of drying out like wilting. They simply get crispy.

In the morning, mine will be going outside to get the warmth and sun. Supposed to get warmer before getting colder again this week :(.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How many times a week have you been watering yours? I'm guessing you have yours indoors during this time. I've been checking around with gardeners and other forums on potted Rosemary. They say to use well draining soil, which is what we have. But they say to never let dry out, but keep moist. By that they seem to say deep water and let it get dry but not completely. Then water again.

Also, I've read that rosemary do not give signs of drying out like wilting. They simply get crispy.

In the morning, mine will be going outside to get the warmth and sun. Supposed to get warmer before getting colder again this week :(.

I've watered mine a few times...it came pretty well watered when it arrived. And I've not had mine long. Though...it was outdoors it seems needing watered more frequently. (We had a few nice days here) I've not seen mine wilt...to be honest, though...the new growth seems to a bit. Like...not stand as tall. I am assuming that is that they mean by wilting. When the new growth doesn't stand and reach out. But seems limp. That is when I watered. The base of the trunk you notice it in the bark. When you water it'll.the base of the trunk to me seems like a wick. And will stay damp. When it needs watered...it loses the damp look to the bark at the base. Still a learning process since I've had mine a few weeks.

That is one gnarly looking tree! Thanks for sharing...:cool:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've started to notice the base last night. It does appear to be like a wick! Very damp while the soil around it is slightly moist.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've started to notice the base last night. It does appear to be like a wick! Very damp while the soil around it is slightly moist.

I have a feeling...I will end up judging the base of the trunk for watering needs...still watching. But, when it's not sending out new growth...I need a plan of action for watering.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Rosemary are rather difficult to collect successfully. Be careful not to overwater the soil. Misting the foliage helps but do not let the soil stay wet. If in 3-4 weeks the foliage is still soft you'll probably be ok- they usually don't last much longer if they aren't going to make it. I wouldn't think about styling until next year. When you do wire if you bend with the twist in the plant you are less likely to break it.
Good luck.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@bonsaibp, thank you. That was very useful info.

So far I only removed some of the excessive dead branches and one long branch that was competing (by it's position) with a branch that I wanted to keep, the one wired standing up. It was once weeping down.

I'm definitely going to wait 'til next year for any bending or more pruning. Until next year, it'll be rehab for this rosemary.

This thread may come in handy as I will be collecting a large rosemary from a friend's yard later this year.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My rosemary have been under observation for 5 days now since collected in put into a colander. I actually sit in front of it like a I've lost my sainit and stare for a long while looking at details. I look at the soil, the old foliage, the newer foliage and tips. I observe the soil color; stick my finder down into it. Gently feel the trunk and surface of the rootball for moisture. If it's wrong, I can't help it, OCDness comes out from within me sometimes.

I've watered it on day 0 when it was collected and day 1 some afternoon sun windy. Day 2 got sun and windy; watered very lightly in afternoon. Day 3 some sun and wind, I watered deeply. Day 4 overcast and some light drizzle so no watering. Day 5 noticed some drizzle from previous night no watering today. I should add that I did mist the leaves starting on day 3 to satisfy my OCD urge to water more. It's not humid around here now, but windy and sunny. I figure it won't hurt.

I noticed some wilting of the newer tips on day 2 or 3. I kept observing, b/c I wasn't sure it was wilt or just the weeping appearance of the type of rosemary. Since yesterday and today, days 4 and 5, I've noticed those tips rising upward a bit. On another rosemary collected at the same time, where the tips were not wilted at all, the tips seemed to rise even higher. On both rosemary, some older leaves are losing color and turning eventually brown. On both rosemary, there are leaves on younger tips that have turned black. I remove the blackened dead leaves. I may just be observing some die back from stress of collection.

Something else that I noticed was on the rosemary that had no wilting, the young leaves look less constricted. When I look at the leaves from behind, I could see more of the white, and the leaves at the tips appear more relaxed and spread. On the rosemary with some wilting, the leaves seem to constrict showing less of the white underside, and the leaves at the tips are not spread out. I wonder could this just be a sign of stres or is it trying to conserve moisture?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Got home and it is almost 80 degrees. Not crazy hot, but enough to burn the skin on my neck.

My wilted rosemary that perked up a little this morning didn't get better, but instead it got to worse. I doubt it's too wet in this weather and sun. Likely a combination of stress and being too dry. I came to this conclusion because my other rosemary collected at the same time is doing much better.

If the wilted one got better with more moisture and cooler weather, it may have a chance at full recovery. It'll then prove itself to be a tough little plant. For now, I've moved both of them under a tree for dappled sunlight. Also watered them deeply seeing how dry the soil is. Here are a few pictures of the leaves. One is clearly wilted and the other...happy.

Attachments

• DSC_2813.jpg
    DSC_2813.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_2815.jpg
    DSC_2815.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 20

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one as well I bought post Xmas. It was a living Xmas tree. Has anyone ever trunk chopped, meaning no foliage, and have them come back?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I guess I could get a cheap small one and try, but every article I've read recommends only cutting back to a portion with some foliage.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't get all the concern for cold hardiness in Rosemary either- are some varieties more sensitive to cold than others? I have had them (and sage) survive temps down to the TEENS without batting an eye. The Sage loses it's leaves but the rosemary doesn't even turn color or even Stop GROWING that I have noticed. I am not using these plants for Bonsai, just for cooking but I shake my head when people seem to want to treat a Rosemary like a semi- tropical tree. They may not do well outside up in Minnesota or something, but down South where I live, or in Dallas... I just don't think we will ever see any weather capable of murdering a Rosemary in our lifetimes. Again- am I crazy/ insanely lucky, or is it normal for these guys to shrug off sub freezing temps like it it nothing?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't get all the concern for cold hardiness in Rosemary either- are some varieties more sensitive to cold than others? I have had them (and sage) survive temps down to the TEENS without batting an eye. The Sage loses it's leaves but the rosemary doesn't even turn color or even Stop GROWING that I have noticed. I am not using these plants for Bonsai, just for cooking but I shake my head when people seem to want to treat a Rosemary like a semi- tropical tree. They may not do well outside up in Minnesota or something, but down South where I live, or in Dallas... I just don't think we will ever see any weather capable of murdering a Rosemary in our lifetimes. Again- am I crazy/ insanely lucky, or is it normal for these guys to shrug off sub freezing temps like it it nothing?

There are many cultivars. If I remember correct Rosemary Arp is ok in USDA 6 - 11. That is pretty darn cold hardy. I am also certain there are cultivars that are not.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There are many cultivars. If I remember correct Rosemary Arp is ok in USDA 6 - 11. That is pretty darn cold hardy. I am also certain there are cultivars that are not.

Grimmy

I agree...mine it was told is NOT cold hardy by the bonsai nursery. Some winter the cold hardy in an unheated building through winter...with success. But those varieties can take the cold. Mine isn't to get below 32F...though only know it's a trailing variety.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Rosemary are rather difficult to collect successfully. Be careful not to overwater the soil. Misting the foliage helps but do not let the soil stay wet. If in 3-4 weeks the foliage is still soft you'll probably be ok- they usually don't last much longer if they aren't going to make it. I wouldn't think about styling until next year. When you do wire if you bend with the twist in the plant you are less likely to break it.
Good luck.

I heard misting can bring on white powdery mildew... I heard ones setting a fan in the room for circulation come winter...but be watchful of misting to much and you get the mildew.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score

I haven't understood the concern for cold either yet, but in my case I'm just staying on the safe side. Growing it a small colander vs ground or oversized pot is a big variable. I'd rather not lose a bonsai in training. As far as I can remember, before being collected from a 15 gallon nursery can, mine were left outside and endured temps as low as 17 degrees F.

In addition much of the information that I've found is not from bonsai folks, but from gardeners. Also non specific to my area. I feel like I'm having to test the waters. Hopefully what my experience with rosemary will be something useful to others.

Top Bottom