Rosemary pre-bonsai is dying

Dane Kofoed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This established nursery rosemary was obtained in the summer, kept indoors in well lit area until winter. Now we have less light coming in, furnace is drying the air out, and it's been lightly pruned a few times (for shape and to thin it out).
It has gone from full and lush to browning needles and a crispy feel. Misted almost daily, watered (perhaps too little or too much?)when dry , and sees 8-12 hours of artificial grow light daily. And it's still drying or dying ...

It was repotted in late spring into the same pot, perhaps too many roots taken off?

Thoughts on getting life back into this tree?

Attachments

• IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    359.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3773.JPG
    IMG_3773.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4197.JPG
    IMG_4197.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4198.JPG
    IMG_4198.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 76

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This established nursery rosemary was obtained in the summer, kept indoors in well lit area until winter. Now we have less light coming in, furnace is drying the air out, and it's been lightly pruned a few times (for shape and to thin it out).
It has gone from full and lush to browning needles and a crispy feel. Misted almost daily, watered (perhaps too little or too much?)when dry , and sees 8-12 hours of artificial grow light daily. And it's still drying or dying ...

It was repotted in late spring into the same pot, perhaps too many roots taken off?

Thoughts on getting life back into this tree?
1. Rosemary is NOT an indoor plant. Not even in slightest way is it an indoor plant. That's what is killing/killed it. At this point strip the leaves and use them in spaghetti.

2. If you obtained it in the summer, who repotted it in the spring?

3. If there is still some green you may, just may be able to save it if you get it outside.

4. Where do you live?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Misting my trees is one of my favourite things to do, but seems like its a big no-no for rosemary. As much as I love rosemary, it loves to be hated: only water the soil, don't mist it, don't love it, don't care for it, and be stingy with fertilizer too.

Dane Kofoed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I live in Ontario Canada. It was well below freezing here today, outside is not an option.

I know that these are not indoor plants, but we have to make it work in this climate. Some of the more hardy trees can be kept under lights in a shed or garage, but not likely this herb . People do keep rosemary alive indoors, it's been a popular Christmas gift for years as an indoor herb. But this one has not responded to the techniques I've read about regarding keeping them alive indoors. It needs moist air, tons of light, fast soil, etc.

I repotted it in the late summer, not late spring, that's my mistake.

Dane Kofoed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Misting my trees is one of my favourite things to do, but seems like its a big no-no for rosemary. As much as I love rosemary, it loves to be hated: only water the soil, don't mist it, don't love it, don't care for it, and be stingy with fertilizer too.
Interesting. Rosemary takes a ton of its water in through it's leaves, being a Mediterranean native so misting seemed natural ...

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. Rosemary takes a ton of its water in through it's leaves, being a Mediterranean native so misting seemed natural ...
Well, it does. It takes moisture and nutrients from the air through its leaves, but it doesn't like actual water lingering on its leaves. So, if you bring it inside, keep a humidity tray, that might be a better option.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I live in Ontario Canada. It was well below freezing here today, outside is not an option.

I know that these are not indoor plants, but we have to make it work in this climate. Some of the more hardy trees can be kept under lights in a shed or garage, but not likely this herb . People do keep rosemary alive indoors, it's been a popular Christmas gift for years as an indoor herb. But this one has not responded to the techniques I've read about regarding keeping them alive indoors. It needs moist air, tons of light, fast soil, etc.

I repotted it in the late summer, not late spring, that's my mistake.
Yes, you can keep it alive indoors over the winter under the right conditions. I've had some that have lasted 5 or 6 months inside before they met their demise. You should be keeping them outside for as long as possible and let them gain vigor before bringing them in for the winter. If you know someone locally that has been successful keeping them indoors year round then I would get advice from them. I have family in Bowmanville and I'm familiar with the environment.

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think the problem is your soil retains too much water. Rosemary should be in very well draining medium.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
less light coming in, furnace is drying the air out,

For me....
Success is about removing confusion.

Less light means less warmth for a tree.
So less light and more warm is a confusion for it.

Sounds like it been fine till this furnace on yes?

It seems always a root thing with these....
So that you got it past repot is good.

Summer repot should be better with these.

While I believe this...
People do keep rosemary alive indoors, it's been a popular Christmas gift for years as an indoor herb

You shouldn't believe it.
Well, with a little inkling, like, so after 30 years you can say...."I told you so", and keep it tucked away as a truth to keep trying.....

But if you believe it too much......
Your tree will die.

If at least....
Because what you will end up doing good to it...
Is nothing like what Grandma ever did with hers.

But speaking of Grams.....
I read about them hanging barerooted plants upside down in the root cellar over winter and them living just fine.

Maybe rosemary is one?

Sorce

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you sure it's just not going to sleep for the winter?

My mother's ( she had for years 5 or 6 )
Would loss it's leaves and look dead all winter then she would bring it back out side in the spring and BAM!

It would come back to life.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rosemary is really touchy... about everything. It thrives on neglect. That is a nice way of saying - pretty much anything you do to it can kill it. It is naturally a Mediterranean / arid scrub bush. It likes intense direct sun, and occasional deep watering separated by long periods of dryness. Free-draining soil is a must. It does not like to have its roots or foliage trimmed much (if at all) and definitely not too much at any time.

If you are lucky, and do absolutely nothing to it - including no watering and no repotting - in many years it may look like this "neglected" rosemary yardadori in a planter on a commercial street in Laguna Beach:

rosemary.jpg

Last edited:

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
I have one in a pot on my balcony (zone 8a) and we regularly have weeks with freezing temperatures overnight.
Of course in Canada it's much colder but you should find a place where it can feel the changing seasons, a lightened garage, a protected spot near a house wall, a greenhouse or anything similar.
It won't do well indoors for a long time.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about a cool basement?

Mine stays around 50 ta 40 'F all winter
And it's dark... Would something like that work well ?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Rosemary is really touchy... about everything. It thrives on neglect. That is a nice way of saying - pretty much anything you do to it can kill it. It is naturally a Mediterranean / arid scrub bush. It likes intense direct sun, and occasional deep watering separated by long periods of dryness. Free-draining soil is a must. It does not like to have its roots or foliage trimmed much (if at all) and definitely not too much at any time.

If you are lucky, and do absolutely nothing to it - including no watering and no repotting - in many years it may look like this "neglected" rosemary yardadori in a planter on a commercial street in Laguna Beach:

View attachment 168719
There are some awesome ones out there for sure (and Sage as well). Two years ago I was staying at a Hotel about 45 minutes from here. They have Rosemary planted everywhere around the resort and up and down the roads. One of the businesses must have sold and they were remolding it. Next to the dumpster were probably 20 or so Rosemary plants pretty much like the one you posted that were ripped from the ground and thrown in a big pile. They were all brown so I didn't bother grabbing any but my heart really sank on that missed opportunity.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
has anyone here successfully repoted a rosemary into a training pot, or even a bonsai pot?

Top Bottom