Rosemary raft

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I can say it's doing well but it's not. I'm hoping I can save it but it looks like I am going to lose everything but the 1st branch
If I can save the last one it will turn into a mame
What's it doing ?
My mother had one inside when i was but a boy, every fall it would drop all it's needles and look dead till spring came along.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wish I can say it's doing well but it's not. I'm hoping I can save it but it looks like I am going to lose everything but the 1st branch
If I can save the last one it will turn into a mame

Ahhh hoping it pulls through !!! curious as well regarding what is wrong it....

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
I think it died, it does not have any green needles anymore. I don't know what happened all signs from my research point out root rot. I'm not sure how when it is in %80 turface. I have a cutting that is thriving in a small 2 inch pot with potting soil. I will take a look at the roots today if I get home before it gets dark.

Unless it was a lack of water which I doubt because it started turning brown when I was getting rain off and on.

Maybe it was the turface and not enough organic soil

.....Maybe I over fertilized it. I didn't fert the cutting and that's the only thing that would be different between the two other than the soil.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Rosemary are finicky. They don't repot all that easily and I'm not sure keeping it indoors is a good idea either. Also, they really need to be in a high percentage of organic medium to thrive.

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
It must have been the soil.
I did not cut the roots and I did a semi bare root when I repotted it. oh well lesson learned
The cutting is growing well though
and yours looks great

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It must have been the soil.
I did not cut the roots and I did a semi bare root when I repotted it. oh well lesson learned
The cutting is growing well though
and yours looks great
I would say it was most likely the semi bare root. They really do not like their roots messed with. When I repot, I just removed a small amount of soil around the outer edges of the root ball. I also hear many say something along the lines of letting the soil dry out between watering. Not me, I water mine every day and haven't had any issues.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had a rosemary plant 20 years ago that I kept in the basement under grow lights, and it grew like crazy and I just kept snipping off branches and it got bigger and bigger. Made me think Rosemary was easy to grow. Since then, I've tried growing it outside on multiple occasions, and it never seems to grow, it just stagnates and then dries up and dies (not enough water?). I thought rosemary was a mediterranean plant that would thrive in hot dry climates, but not according to my experience.

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
I would say it was most likely the semi bare root. They really do not like their roots messed with. When I repot, I just removed a small amount of soil around the outer edges of the root ball. I also hear many say something along the lines of letting the soil dry out between watering. Not me, I water mine every day and haven't had any issues.
It might have been the repot
I didn't notice much growth except for a few needles.
The cutting is growing well though. So I keep going back to it being the soil.
its a shame that I only got 1 cutting out of it. I made it into a raft because there was just one branch (cutting) on the opposite side.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
you can use all your trimmings in your food lol

Top Bottom