RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
IMG_2546.JPG IMG_2547.JPG From everything I have read everywhere the general consensus is that its darn near impossible to repot a rosemary or cut off thick roots without loosing the plant.

This is extremely unfortunate as they have amazing trunks and live veins when very old. But in saying this there has to be a solution!

1.) in the picture below is a Rosemary I purchased from a local nursery (cant go wrong for 10$) the trunk is the biggest Ive ever seen on one.

My question is, the plant was obviously not grown in a pot to reach this size so it had to be harashly prunned at some point so how is this possible? Same way yamadori is collected? With extreme amounts of fertilizer soaking? The worker did not have info as far as this process goes.

2.) Being that rosemary Is a plant that comonly will put out roots if incpntact with the ground how will would it air layer? Anyone every try it?

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Air layers fine. I think many people kill them during repotting because they keep them too wet OR they desiccate because of lost roots. Remember that Rosemary can take all the moisture it needs from the foliage. Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like they've seen the inside of those containers for a good bit.. Nice find (s), hope one works out for you.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
did you ever air layer any of these? i have a big old one in my yard i would like to air layer, looking to read up on as much as i can before i start

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rosemary plants take most of their water in from their foliage. When re-potting, mist the foliage often and water the roots like any other bonsai tree. I have had good luck with rosemary's.

Top Bottom