Rotary Tool Bits and other deadwood accessories

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Picked up a Rotary tool this winter in preparation for some deadwood work I have coming up in the spring. I have yet to purchase any bits, though I've had my eyes on a few from Samurai tools, one for wood removal and one for detail work. Does anybody have positive or negative experiences with their bits or strong feelings about other brands, I'd appreciate any input!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pretty sure its dremel sized, I'm not particularly familiar with power tools otherwise. But its a M12 Cordless Milwaukee Tool rotary.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Search "rotary carving bits" there are spikey metal ones that might do the job. It looks a little bigger than dremel so make sure you confirm the sizes before you buy. That is a cool tool.... now I want one! :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The shank thickness is what you need to focus on first. This one has a 1/8 inch collet so can only take smaller cutters.
Some of the smaller Samurai cutters have 3 mm shanks which should fit this tool but the 6mm (1/4 inch) cutters won't fit.
I get frustrated with these small rotary tools for hogging out bulk wood. They are fine for fine finishing and detail carving but I've killed 3 now trying to cut more that they can manage.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The shank thickness is what you need to focus on first. This one has a 1/8 inch collet so can only take smaller cutters.
Some of the smaller Samurai cutters have 3 mm shanks which should fit this tool but the 6mm (1/4 inch) cutters won't fit.
I get frustrated with these small rotary tools for hogging out bulk wood. They are fine for fine finishing and detail carving but I've killed 3 now trying to cut more that they can manage.
Thanks, this was exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Thankfully neither of my projects are involving tremendous volumes deadwood so that shouldn't be a concern, but its good to know I should look at alternatives for large volumes of deadwood removal in the future.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have dremel bits and master carver bits 1/4” collet size…. But honestly, you don’t really need it unless you’re doing finishing work or you don’t have a chisel to carve out and pliers to manually pull away the dead wood or peel back the bark. Just seems like ,ok the tools are cool but just one of those things you can definitely cut cost on

Top Bottom