Rouge Boug

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've had this one for a couple years...never seen a flower yet...
It grew plenty of foliage over last winter, but just green.
I've heard that stressing them can cause flowering....like frequent defoliation and getting rootbound...
This year in Feb, I trunk chopped, deflolited, cut back hard, wired the new trunk, barerooted and removed most of the roots, because the nebari (or lack thereof) was a disaster, potted in tiny pot.... thought it might die.
Been growing since then...

A little leaf pruning today...and re-cut the chop scar edges, hoping to roll over and heal....so far no go....
I don't have any previous pics...never took any til today.
20180812_084503.jpg20180812_084518.jpg20180812_084527.jpg20180812_084551.jpg20180812_085413.jpg20180812_085435.jpg20180812_085444.jpg20180812_085452_Burst01.jpg20180812_085532.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had this one for a couple years...never seen a flower yet...

We have one very similar next to the parent plant for the same amount of time. They both receive the same, light, care, substrate, etc...

The parent plant will bract a few time a year if I leave them in filtered light, let it dry a bit so the leaf droops, place in full sun, and water a lot.

The cutting gets the same treatment and does not...

I am pretty certain after seeing this for a couple of seasons now that the difference is that the parent is left to be very root bound while the cutting has not yet reached that stage. The reason is I have struck and passed along a few cuttings and they are located in different parts of the country while receiving different care and are no yet blooming, nor root bound.

I cannot say I am an expert on the plant but it is what I observe.

Grimmy

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We have one very similar next to the parent plant for the same amount of time. They both receive the same, light, care, substrate, etc...

The parent plant will bract a few time a year if I leave them in filtered light, let it dry a bit so the leaf droops, place in full sun, and water a lot.

The cutting gets the same treatment and does not...

I am pretty certain after seeing this for a couple of seasons now that the difference is that the parent is left to be very root bound while the cutting has not yet reached that stage. The reason is I have struck and passed along a few cuttings and they are located in different parts of the country while receiving different care and are no yet blooming, nor root bound.

I cannot say I am an expert on the plant but it is what I observe.

Grimmy
That is interesting....thanks!
I've noticed over the year this one has seemingly filled the pot with roots, judging by the watering...
So I guess well see...maybe I'll see some before it has to come inside.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I guess well see...maybe I'll see some before it has to come inside.

Don't be surprised if you see it bract inside as well. The two I referenced get 16 hours a day of low T8 light and the parent will toss some bracts with no special treatment :) Now, I only see that happen once during the Winter here but it is kind of cool.

Grimmy

Top Bottom