Rough styling of a Sabina Juniper

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
I recently found some nice garden center Sabina junipers and this is one I worked on today...here it is at the start:
IMG_1224.JPG

And at the end of the day:
IMG_1236.JPG
IMG_1234.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG
The base:
IMG_1231.JPG

The back:
IMG_1228.JPG

the apex needs to fill in and be brought even further down as well as more refinement of pads on the right... any thoughts? Alternative ideas for the future?

Last edited:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good work. I have found that if after you take the wire off these and just forget about them for a couple of years , (if you have the patience - the trick there is to have too many) when you come back and look at them the next time you will be very inspired indeed! Rather than fine detailing, you can keep repeating this ''long interval heavy work'' for as long as you like and you can end up with material almost as good as wild stuff.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I see some nice roots cool
Nice work !
i have one too but just repotted so ill have to wait before i can work on it tough

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
I see some nice roots cool
Nice work !
i have one too but just repotted so ill have to wait before i can work on it tough

I think this one will have to sit for a while as well... looking back, I probably removed to much at once (I didn't touch the roots at all), but I had the 'itch'... we'll see how it recovers, but I feel pretty good about it so far...

G-Hoppa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Graft Shimpaku onto it.

Great movement, great trunk!

Hey there - quick noob question: I've seen people recommend grafting shimpaku onto trees like this before on this site-- why? What does that variety offer that the foliage on this won't provide?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey there - quick noob question: I've seen people recommend grafting shimpaku onto trees like this before on this site-- why? What does that variety offer that the foliage on this won't provide?

Easy to keep mature foliage tight.

But I think Sabina is accepted sometimes.

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I'd like to double this question. If we google sabina bonsai we can find many cool trees with original foliage from Spanish and Italian artists.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think Sabina is widely used in Europe...
Correct. There is no need to replace Sabina foliage. It will tighten up like shimpaku; excellent European material, particularly in Spain.

Top Bottom