Rough (White) Peat Source in U.S.?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I’d like to experiment with the Walter Pall substrate technique of using rough peat (aka white peat) or coconut fibers/ fine chips as an organic component in my mix.

Which brand and source do you use in the United States? It’s proving difficult to find.

I hope to discourage substrate philosophy wars, but I suspect that may be difficult to avoid.

Thanks for your feedback.

Here’s some Walter Pall thoughts if you’re curious:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forgive me .....

But I believe Walter's method uses what is readily available over white peat.

It's not the substrate that makes Walter's trees good, it's ...

The time saved sourcing stuff...
Spent on 👇"making more artistic bonsai".

Sorce

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would probably use orchid bark.
they say it steals nitrogen,but really nitrogen is a luxery element and can be steadily applied....Trees don’t need THAT much nitrogen.
There are various grades....is expensive though,but super stuff

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe the classic grade is 1/4-3/8”
Killer stuff for smaller collections.Ph treated initially

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would probably use orchid bark.

I’ve used it and I like it but the price is quite high.

I just found these 2 products that I’m going to take a look at. Sounds like salt content can be a concern with coconut coir if not properly rinsed in manufacturing.

ReptiChip: Microchip Reptile Substrate Fine Coconut Chip Mix (24 Quart) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WTFC4YB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OAw5Db22AW4DW

Plantonix Coco Coir Brick, OMRI listed for Organic Use (5 Bricks) 1.4 LBS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1YP8O6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sEw5DbKQNXJGG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Approximate price per gallon:

Platonix: $1.25
Reptichip: $4.60
Orchiata: $17.41

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve used it and I like it but the price is quite high.

I just found these 2 products that I’m going to take a look at. Sounds like salt content can be a concern with coconut coir if not properly rinsed in manufacturing.

ReptiChip: Microchip Reptile Substrate Fine Coconut Chip Mix (24 Quart) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WTFC4YB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OAw5Db22AW4DW

Plantonix Coco Coir Brick, OMRI listed for Organic Use (5 Bricks) 1.4 LBS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1YP8O6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sEw5DbKQNXJGG
I would stay away from coconut it is known to leech calcium and all minerals from soil they actually make hydroponic fertilizers made specially for Coco to compensate for this issue

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you could find large bags of fir bark at your box stores just screen and it works just as good
3/8” minus type stuff

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
White Peat - there is nothing called white peat available in the USA as far as I can tell. Germany has peat bogs - actually strip mines where the quality of the peat is very different than the peat available from Canada and USA. German peat is "further along the spectrum toward becoming coal" - it is a much more ancient, metamorphosed product than Canadian peat moss. There is no equivalent available in the USA. German peat is chunky, and these chunks hold their structure for several years of use. I had some imported from Germany at one time. It is very different than Canadian peat moss.

I would use douglas fir bark - orchid bark or radiata pine bark. I use coconut chips for orchids, quality is spotty, but if you find a good source, no reason to avoid coconut husk chips.

Top Bottom