Roughleaf Dogwood - Cornus drummondii

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Picked this one up this year, once again, from Zach. I felt like it deserved a thread, so here goes.

Here is the tree as offered. Great trunk, nice bark and a good start on a nice set of branches. The pot was a gift to Zach and wasn't for sale, so it would be shipped in a nursery pot.

1595601078459_Dogwood4-11-20-7.JPG

I had this nice Sara Rayner pot that fit the tree well. I slipped it in, did a little wiring and stuck it in the shade.

20200616_130206.jpg

And after a couple months here in VA. Looking forward to developing this one and hoping for flowers one day!20200724_121818.jpg

Will continue to update this thread with progress - good or bad.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update on my dogwood. No repot this year and it is growing really well. I keep it mostly in the shade on the bench with my Japanese Maple. The form is pretty much set - just thickening branches and increasing ramification.

These pics are about a month apart.

20210512_144216.jpg
20210531_164359.jpg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looking good. I've got one that's half that size but amazingly similar in shape. I scouted out a few this summer that are in the "are they too big to dig?" size range.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good. I've got one that's half that size but amazingly similar in shape. I scouted out a few this summer that are in the "are they too big to dig?" size range.
Thanks. Curious how much sun you give yours. I've been growing this one next to my Japanese Maples so it doesn't get a lot of sun. Thinking about experimenting with some more sun next year to see if that speeds up development at all.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks. Curious how much sun you give yours. I've been growing this one next to my Japanese Maples so it doesn't get a lot of sun. Thinking about experimenting with some more sun next year to see if that speeds up development at all.
Mine lives in full sun More sun equals more growth.......but the foliage gets ratty by the end of summer. I may move mine to the shade mid to late summer next year.

Top Bottom