Ruby star jm

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was at a nursery yesterday where I get my young maple cultivars primarily because they they used to sell them for like $15 to $35 until COVID. I was told they got a lot of new ones in so I went to check them out. I saw a cultivar called ruby star. It grows similar to a Mikawa. Only it is red with slightly larger leaves. Has short internodes. It looked like it was just last week planted into a 5 gallon from a one gallon. It swayed you could tell the roots were hardly established. They said ohh that’s a five gallon so it’s $100. Lol I still almost bought it but before COVID they were selling trees that size for $25. Probably a three year old graft.
Was curious if anyone has seen these? They look really cool. I almost bought it. But for the size it was hard to rationalize. And the fact it was really a 1 gallon in a 5 gallon. Although still really thinking about going back next weekend.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one coming on Monday. I too was really intrigued by it so it will be in my JM collection.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one coming on Monday. I too was really intrigued by it so it will be in my JM collection.
That’s cool! Yeah they are really nice! I guess they are hot sellers. I can see them making good bonsai once air layered. The one I was thinking about I could get one layer from 3/8 inch thick. 100 bucks is a little steep for me for that return. I’d rather save my bonsai budget for a large shimpaku or something. I have enough small tree’s growing for future bonsai. Like 80% of them. Lol!

Top Bottom