Rule Breaking Twin-Trunk

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Would you plant two trees with each tree at the opposite end of the pot? Most people will think that would be nuts. What if someone could point you and see things in a different light, would you begin to appreciate it or just say nah, that breaks the bonsai or even penjing rules?

In Part 2 of my travel blog I visited a penjing garden in a Daoist monastery in Hong Kong; the late Abbot Hao created one just like that. He approached his penjing with unconventional views from a Daoist’s philosophical views embracing the way of Nature. They make sense when you understand what he was doing.

This twin trunk was planted by taking the viewer inside a forest, seeing two large trees at close range. A common scene when we walk in a mature woods or an old forest. He broke up the monotony by placing figurine of a traveler close to one tree. Suddenly the scene becomes believable though highly unconventional, an antithesis to the old cliché, can’t see the forest for the trees. He wanted you to see the trees instead of the forest!

IMG_5578-001.JPG

IMG_5577-001.JPG

IMG_5579-001.JPG

His styles are fantastic, his trees tell stories and are unconventional. To see more of his works and my analysis, please go to the 'Shameless Commerce Division' otherwise known as 'Bonsai Penjing & More' from the not so fair city of ....

https://bonsaipenjing.wordpress.com...unconventional-penjing-in-a-daoist-monastery/

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It does work... with the figure there to fill the space. Without it, or a large rock maybe there would just be too much space. Thanks for sharing!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At first I saw the figure as if he was moving through the woods....

It actually put me so far there I saw him "moving" for a while.

It could work without a figure too I think.

"The path with no spider webs"

Very real.

Sorce

Reaction score
I'm with everyone else. The figure i the only reason that works.

Overall I like the overall feel of the piece. Too me a few minutes of looking at the picture to really take it all in as a whole.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Thats not a twin trunk, a twin trunk is 1 tree with 2 trunks, usually starting at the base. These are 2 trees in 1 pot.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you plant two trees with each tree at the opposite end of the pot? Most people will think that would be nuts. What if someone could point you and see things in a different light, would you begin to appreciate it or just say nah, that breaks the bonsai or even penjing rules?

In Part 2 of my travel blog I visited a penjing garden in a Daoist monastery in Hong Kong; the late Abbot Hao created one just like that. He approached his penjing with unconventional views from a Daoist’s philosophical views embracing the way of Nature. They make sense when you understand what he was doing.

This twin trunk was planted by taking the viewer inside a forest, seeing two large trees at close range. A common scene when we walk in a mature woods or an old forest. He broke up the monotony by placing figurine of a traveler close to one tree. Suddenly the scene becomes believable though highly unconventional, an antithesis to the old cliché, can’t see the forest for the trees. He wanted you to see the trees instead of the forest!

View attachment 137098

View attachment 137099

View attachment 137115

His styles are fantastic, his trees tell stories and are unconventional. To see more of his works and my analysis, please go to the 'Shameless Commerce Division' otherwise known as 'Bonsai Penjing & More' from the not so fair city of ....

https://bonsaipenjing.wordpress.com...unconventional-penjing-in-a-daoist-monastery/

The figure seems agitated....oopps....sitting on his sword!!!:eek::D:D:D The soil looks pretty "lived in".....:eek::D:D:D

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great thread, and great composition. Thanks.

The only factor that seems incongruous here, however, is that for a Daoist monastery and Penjing garden in Hong Kong they have skimped dangerously on the wiring ... i.e. the paltry attempt at barbed wire atop the fence! (Pardon the cynical attempt at humor, but I go way back with Hong Kong :) .... )

One of my very first bonsai books wqas this one: http://www.fukubonsai.com/5a16.html ... get a copy if you can.

Once again, great post, and thanks!

Top Bottom