Rules, made to be broken?

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I've read that its bad design to place a branch on the inside of a curve, and normally I agree. But then I got this tree, and I can't bring myself to even consider wanting to remove the branch (see
2nd pic). Its got such a nice deadwood feature I feel its trumps the placement. Does anyone agree? This is a buttonwood by the way and about 7" thick at thr trunk line. Just got it after it recooped from collection and just pondering what I want to do with it when the time comes. Sorry about the background in the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0043r.jpg
    IMG_0043r.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0044r.jpg
    IMG_0044r.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Assuming you are talking about the first branch on the right, No I don't agree, if you mean the one to the left yes I do. If you mean the right one, I don't see enough dead feature to keep it, it is large and that tends to make people fear cutting them off but this one to me needs to go, but only If you are talking about the right side one.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. The one on the right in pic 1 and 2, right there in the middle of that curve. It pains me, it does. But maybe you and John Naka are right. I wonder if I should leave that bit of live bark there after the branch is gone, or try to strip it back?

Last edited:

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. The one on the right in pic 1, right there in the middle of that curve. It pains me, it does. But maybe you and John Naka are right. I'll just pray for a branch on the next curve then, and after this thing regains full vigor I'll loose it.

Attachments

• IMG_0043r.jpg
    IMG_0043r.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 53

IdahoDR

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
get rid of it.

If you reduce it youll probably get some back budding lower on that live vein on the right side, that you can decide to keep or not, that would place the backbudding more on the outside of that curve, if that makes sense.

Its hard to tell from the angle weather or not thats too low for branching, but regardless i think that the large branch needs to go.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
get rid of it.

If you reduce it youll probably get some back budding lower on that live vein on the right side, that you can decide to keep or not, that would place the backbudding more on the outside of that curve, if that makes sense.

Its hard to tell from the angle weather or not thats too low for branching, but regardless i think that the large branch needs to go.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Thanks.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll jump on that bandwagon as well. The virt makes for a big improvement.

Top Bottom