"Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated,"

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... but rumors of my starting another book or two are true ... It has been ten years since Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees was published, and Dan Robinson's inherent inclination to create bonsai that capture the wild trees seen in remote areas of North America has evolved, grown into an even less conventional style now as his proclivities mature. So, I'm gearing up and dusting off my equipment with the intention to write./photograph/publish another book - perhaps less grand, but just as insightful and beautiful as the first. The last book took three years ... this should be a bit shorter to produce.
There was also a brief flurry of activity months ago to have me do a similar book regarding a kusamono artist in the USA, but - although the process never gathered much steam, it may also be resurrected soon ... we'll see.
For those worried about such things, these books - as dictated by the local and national authorities - will, unfortunately, exclusively feature the trees and kusamono wearing COVID-19 Masks, and they will only feature one tree or kusamono every 6 pages, and only feature trees/kusmono that have sworn loyalty oaths to the government. Sales of the books will also be limited to people who have enthusiastically embraced the lockdowns and the arrests of those in violation of such mandates, so you can rest assured that these books will be in keeping with the most rational and scientifically rigorous standards. So, set aside some of your $600 Federal Survival money, and get you some woke books to pass the time in quarantine.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Good to hear form you Will, your 6 trees are fine and sleeping right now except for the Falsebark Cypress which is not sleeping lol. I bought all new Tokoname pots for them because they deserve nothing less and this spring I will repot all of them. Hope everything is well with you and your family. Are you back in the states or still in Asia? Take care. Tommy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yay! Glad you are going to do another book. It’s always been one of my favorite books as it was written from the ♥️

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gnarly Branches Ancient Trees was literally put in my hands and I was told to read it, and I’m glad I did. I’m looking forward to the next one...

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to see you again. I thought you were going to be a Tibetan Monk? Have you de-forested your life?
I AM a Tibetan Monk, just living far from home this life-time, and finding the monk thing vastly over-rated compared to retirement coupled with COVID imprisonment
Good to hear form you Will, your 6 trees are fine and sleeping right now except for the Falsebark Cypress which is not sleeping lol. I bought all new Tokoname pots for them because they deserve nothing less and this spring I will repot all of them. Hope everything is well with you and your family. Are you back in the states or still in Asia? Take care. Tommy
Glad to hear the trees are doing well, and that you are enjoying them!
Yes, back in the States, and not trying a third time to make the marriage work. ... long story, but essentially I was held prisoner over there by my soon-to-be ex for about 5 months until I walked into town and demanded the mayor tell her to release me and drive me 8 hours north to Manila so I could get a plane home. At least this visit she didn't try to "purify" me by gouging my eyes out like she did the time before!!! LOL!!! That should be the book I should write next - LOL!!!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I AM a Tibetan Monk, just living far from home this life-time, and finding the monk thing vastly over-rated compared to retirement coupled with COVID imprisonment

Glad to hear the trees are doing well, and that you are enjoying them!
Yes, back in the States, and not trying a third time to make the marriage work. ... long story, but essentially I was held prisoner over there by my soon-to-be ex for about 5 months until I walked into town and demanded the mayor tell her to release me and drive me 8 hours north to Manila so I could get a plane home. At least this visit she didn't try to "purify" me by gouging my eyes out like she did the time before!!! LOL!!! That should be the book I should write next - LOL!!!
I am sorry to hear that and hoping better days are ahead for you. Best wishes for you sir! Tommy.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might be nice but meeting none of aforestated conditions cannot qualify to partake of wonderfulness most likely:(.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might be nice but meeting none of aforestated conditions cannot qualify to partake of wonderfulness most likely:(.
Conditions are called "conditions" because they need to be conditioned, and are aforestated most likely because they cannot on their own partake of wonderfulness without qualified input from Zappa or Savage or perhaps even Trumpian right-wingers... certainly you agree .....

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Being of the Theravada forest monk tradition, I'm not sure what you mean by this. ;)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice quote from Hume, BTW!
Thx. It reminds me of the fact that it is impossible to discuss beauty. Whether or not something is pretty is up to the observer to decide. As such in bonsai one can merely discuss quality based on some agreed upon set of rules.

Maybe. Interesting to see that time of the world, where thinking about the world and what we are seems to have reached a level not seen in our current times.

Top Bottom