Rusted pipe as bonsai pot?

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I found a piece of very old rusted iron pipe and I'm thinking of cutting it
up into different depth pots. Does anybody think it would be worth a try? I'm thinking it might work with a tree which has a smooth, light bark. Any suggestions?

DSCF7367.jpg DSCF7367b.jpg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Better get a tetanus shot first! Might look cool but depending on the pH of the soil (if its acidic) the leaching iron salts can keep the the plant from taking up of manganese (manganese helps photosynthesis, respiration, and nitrogen assimilation). I'm so not that smart...I only know this because a while back I found some iron that I thought would be cool in the garden so I looked it up!
Good luck!

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Better get a tetanus shot first! Might look cool but depending on the pH of the soil (if its acidic) the leaching iron salts can keep the the plant from taking up of manganese (manganese helps photosynthesis, respiration, and nitrogen assimilation). I'm so not that smart...I only know this because a while back I found some iron that I thought would be cool in the garden so I looked it up!
Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I will try it on a small ficus cutting and keep an eye on it.
I am going to try a piece of plastic mesh in the bottom. I will get out the angle grinder tomorrow and post pics of the finished pot.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I say go for it. I don't know if I would plant a tree in that particular pipe though. I think it would be well suited for an accent plant.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it. What is the od of the pipe. In my mind I had it at about 2". Your pictures make it look closer to 5" to 6".

I would use epoxy to secure the mesh. Or weld some cross pieces in if you can. I don't think I would trust a friction fit alone.

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The od is 4". Epoxy sounds like a good idea. Maybe a hard plastic bottom with a bead of epoxy. Or I could make a plastic cup and epoxy that inside.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 95591 View attachment 95592 View attachment 95593 View attachment 95594
Here is the first pot completed. I need to find a stiffer mesh for the bottom. But for now this will do. I put a thyme plant in it for a test.
Be advised though that thyme grows best @pH6.5-7.5. The ferrous metals in the container will leach
into the soil thereby acidifying the soil. Just another factor to consider as thyme is notorious for pulling
a Houdini if the soil becomes too acidic. And doing so very rapidly.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this still true in an open inorganic substrate? To me the character of the "pot" would fit a conifer better.

Unfortunately, to a lesser degree than if it had a "bottom" but still; Yes.
Consider an acid loving plant. If you want something small-small try a
heather--feeling a little more ambitious try an azalea--really well schooled
at growing go for a Pieris japonica or one of the other deep acid species.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The answer to the dilemma is simple - line it with a small plastic pot as they do in Nurseries selling deco crap... Then plant anything in it!

Grimmy

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work on the pot. I wasn't expecting the feet. Agree that you need something more to hold the bottom.
A bigger tree wouldn't hurt either :)
CW

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
DSCF7426.jpg DSCF7427.jpg DSCF7428.jpg

And here is the pot from the other end of the pipe. Taller for a semi-cascade I'm thinking. Now to work on a plastic liner.. And wait until I can get a couple pre-bonsai in the spring.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with you.

I got a thing for rusty pipes.....
Just not as pertains to Opera singers!

Sorce

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What about coating the inside with paint. That long with an open inorganic substrate and you might not have a problem. Another option is to use it for a show pot only and not for long term growing. Use a growing pot that is the same size and you could slip pot it without too much disturbance. Your second ”pot” is nice but there is something about the first one I like better.

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What about coating the inside with paint. That long with an open inorganic substrate and you might not have a problem. Another option is to use it for a show pot only and not for long term growing. Use a growing pot that is the same size and you could slip pot it without too much disturbance. Your second ”pot” is nice but there is something about the first one I like better.
I agree, the first pot is from the end that was buried in the ground. It is a lot more worn and has much more character.

Top Bottom