Rustic Shohin Display

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
photo (49).JPG
At the MABA show in Indianapolis last year I was really impressed with this shohin display. I apologize that I don't know whose it is. Maybe he/she is here?

In any event, I decided to make something for myself inspired by this display. My version is much more rustic. That way, any deficiencies in my woodworking skills can be overlooked as a "rustic element"?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very good!

An innovative form of display that will not offend those with a more classic view of bonsai displays. Inspiring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool!

The only thing that is distracting....

Is the joint.....
Where the dark heartwood cuts off at the base.

Then after I look again...

All the flush cut edges bug me a little.

But make no mistake....

This IS badass.

Great Idea! Great display.

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool!

The only thing that is distracting....

Is the joint.....
Where the dark heartwood cuts off at the base.

Sorce

Yeah, I agree. The horizontal bit at the bottom was obviously designed to make sure the vertical stayed up. For the next one I need to come up with a better structure to keep it standing. Something that doesn't interrupt the flow.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By the way, I know the trees on my display look like crap. I used what I had at the moment to demo the display.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been a slow spring to warm up here. I defoliate many of my tropicals when I take them outside. Those two F. salicaria have been sitting there for a month, alive but pouting.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe don't defoliate? :confused:

Yeah, still learning. When I take them out they usually drop a bunch of leaves anyway. Others get burned. Defoliating gets them to adjust faster to more intense light, I think. This is the first year that it's caused me any trouble.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would Probly be a task....

But if you could pull it off with one piece....
It would be balls out fantastic.

I still really love it.

And agree with M. About the trees.

Time time time!

And you've found an excellent way to kill it while you wait!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that with shohin, "different" displays can work well. I have thought about doing something very different with mine...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this is a pretty good effort. I think with a more streamline bottom piece this could be pretty nice. Nice variety of pots there too. I am salivating with that slab used as a back piece. Looks like a slab of cherry? I could make some stands from that.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this is a pretty good effort. I think with a more streamline bottom piece this could be pretty nice. Nice variety of pots there too. I am salivating with that slab used as a back piece. Looks like a slab of cherry? I could make some stands from that.

Yes, cherry. I've been picking up a variety of slabs from the local Habitat for Humanity Restores. They have an "urban lumber" program, with someone providing them rough cut lumber from urban tree removals. They usually have cherry, walnut, oak....sometimes elm, hickory.....often with the live edge look.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the cherry. I've made quite a few from cherry. Did you do the surfacing on the slab? It looks great.

Top Bottom