Ryan Neil and Sierra Juniper

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Ryan's work IS impressive! He's coming to our Midwest Bonsai Show in Aug. For a min. fee, he's giving a personal critique of the trees entrees. I'm def. looking forward to meeting him and hearing his feedback.

And he really did a great job on this Juniper.

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Great Job and Great Tree......helps when you have world class to start with and a world class artisit.

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
If you ever get a chance to watch Ryan, or better yet, take a workshop don't pass it it up. Besides being talented, he is really a nice person. We feel very fortunate here in Northern Calif. We have a group of 6 that meet with him 3 to 4 times a year for all day workshops, plus I schedule a second day for a one on one with him.
If you happen to be in the Santa Rosa area on Sept 27th, Ryan will be the demonstrator at our monthly club meeting. He will be styling a sierra juniper, which will be raffled off at the end of the evening. Public is welcome, and there is no charge.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Bob, I'm actually going to meet Ryan at our upcoming Midwest Bonsai Show. I enrolled in his 'critiques' of the bonsai entrees (should be real informative), and also, 'bring my own tree' workshop with Ryan. I'd be looking forward to this one more if I had better stock right now. But I'm really looking forward to meeting Ryan as I've seen his work and highly respect him.

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed. It has been my intention to attend your show and visit relatives in the Chicago area for some time now. However, our REBS show in Northern Calif is the following weekend, and as show chair there are always last minute details. I would be interested in your feedback and impressions of Ryan after your show.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Wil do Rob. I'll just start a thread with Ryan's name so you should be able to find it.

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
sierra repotted

I was able to work with Ryan 2 days in the beginning of March and another 2 days this past Mon & Tues. We got a lot of the sierras repotted as well as working on other trees. I've attached a picture of the Sierra that was styled last July. It was put into an old Chinese pot that I have had for at least 20 years and never used. The canopy is 48" at the widest point

Attachments

• P1010310-1.jpg
    P1010310-1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 178

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is one amazing tree. Do you have any other shots of the other angles of this?

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Judy - I looked back at the original pictures of Ryan working on the tree, and they are all pretty much the front view. In the future, I'll try and remember to get different views of trees that are being worked on.
Art - We repotted around 6 Sierra Junipers. We also worked on and repotted a great prostata juniper that I bought at the collection north auction in Feb. I'll try and post that later today or tomorrow.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All I can say, is if this is what junipers look like, I'm interested. Never seen many that I actually care about looking at twice...

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Very Very Nice Bob! And Lucky You for being able to work with Ryan! I'm growing green... lol

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
I do feel very fortunate to be able to work with Ryan on my trees. I hate to rub it in, but this year I will work with Ryan 9 days on my trees, 4 with our group of 6 and 5 one on one days. We started about a year and a half ago, and I feel that my trees have improved to another level.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Maybe one day I'll be able to do the same. Congratulations Bob as I know the feeling when a tree I've been working on gets a second opinion from a more talented bonsai enthusiast that def. takes it to a place I never would've thought of.

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
A year later

When I look back at the original posting, it's hard to believe that it has only been a year since the original styling was done. I have posted a picture of refinement that was done on the foliage about 3 weks ago and am amazed how fast it has developed in such a short period of time. I'm convinced that the Sirra Juniper is the most vigorous of the collected junipers out here in the west. I have been using a 7-5-7 organic fertilzed on a regular basis and feel that this has contributed to the strength and growth of the tree.
I plan on showing it at our REBS club show in Santa Rosa in August. Also, the theme for our GSBF convention in October is going to be Calif natives, and I will probably also exhibit it there. I wish that it had another year or two for the pads to develop but feel that it will still be showable.

Attachments

• Img_0069-1.jpg
    Img_0069-1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 168

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Amazing! Beautiful tree done well...will be a show stopper.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It sure seems massivly underpotted. Any intention to get it into a larger pot?

Canopy is really amazing in a short time.

Top Bottom