Ryceman3's 6yr JBP Contest Entry

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have started repotting my pines, and a few of these JBP were first up.
I‘ll be updating with pics as I work through them, but here is a few shots from today.
Slight change of “front” for this first pine to maximise what I see in the trunk movement. I’ll need to re-work the branching to suit this new angle, but leaving that for another time… just turned 5 these pines!!
🍺
JBP RP_A IG_01.jpeg
JBP RP_A IG_03.jpeg
JBP RP_A IG_02.jpeg

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Another one from today… and also a change to the “front” that I think will make the most of the interest in the roots as it matures over time. I found a lot of interesting stuff I had forgotten about (in the nebari) since it was initially dug from the ground 2 years ago. Again, the top branching/foliage needs to be retuned for this angle… but another day!
JBP RP_B IG_01.jpeg
JBP RP_B IG_03.jpeg
JBP RP_B IG_02.jpeg

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I‘ll be updating with pics as I work through them, but here is a few shots from today.
Slight change of “front” for this first pine to maximise what I see in the trunk movement. I’ll need to re-work the branching to suit this new angle, but leaving that for another time… just turned 5 these pines!!
🍺
View attachment 500331
View attachment 500333
View attachment 500336
Incredible development in this time frame! You are inspiring and motivating. I think you have shown that the 6 year time frame for a shohin JBP is possible, so congrats.
I started a batch of JBP in February 2022 and another in 2023. I've got some good starts and healthy growth after heavy feeding of macro and micro nutrients. I need to go back read the thread again to see how you balanced the growth either refinement.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
🍺
View attachment 500331
View attachment 500333
View attachment 500336
We may have a winner

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Your trees are stunning!
I have just decided to quit this contest!!!
:)
This reminded me of your thread @Clicio ...
... so I know it was a "tongue in cheek" comment! ;)

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yup, 6 months behind and still kicking my butt. I’m out! Lol
Don't give up on your trees though ... the most important part of this whole comp is that at the end, if you were able to keep motivated enough, everyone who participated should at least have a few trees that are on the road to becoming something! 👍

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
🍺
View attachment 500331
View attachment 500333
View attachment 500336
I like the pot, what is it?

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A couple more after some work today ... still a few to go but getting through them. As spring approaches I can see movement in the buds so I'll do my best to get them all repotted in the next week or so, time permitting!
It's very satisfying moving from plastic to ceramic ...
🍺
JBP CompRP IG_03.jpg
JBP CompRP IG_04.jpg
JBP CompRP IG_05.jpg
JBP CompRP IG_06.jpg
JBP CompRP IG_01.jpg
JBP CompRP IG_02.jpg

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Still going with the repots ... I was tempted to put this neagari experiment into a bonsai pot but I really think for the benefit of developing the tree it was better to hold off for another year (maybe 2) and let those roots develop a bit further.
There is a little more to be exposed (another inch or so I guess), but I think it is coming along ... given it missed a bonsai pot upgrade though I guess I have counted it out of any chance at being the final submission.
🍺
JBP CompRP IG_07.jpg
JBP CompRP IG_08.jpg

Top Bottom