Ryceman3's 6yr JBP Contest Entry

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Incredible trees, thank you so much for sharing with us. Amazing how much growth you’ve gotten, now you’ve got so much time left for refinement, can’t wait to see the results.

I read through the thread and I might have missed it but what sort of fertilizer do you have in the bags there? I think I saw you mention slow release for the ground grown ones, same thing for the potted?

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Incredible trees, thank you so much for sharing with us. Amazing how much growth you’ve gotten, now you’ve got so much time left for refinement, can’t wait to see the results.

I read through the thread and I might have missed it but what sort of fertilizer do you have in the bags there? I think I saw you mention slow release for the ground grown ones, same thing for the potted?
Fert in the tea bags is slow release, same as ground grown trees... (pelletised chicken manure)
I’m glad you’re enjoying the thread… hopefully I can keep things progressing.
🍺 👍

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I realised I had updated a bit on the ground grown pines, but not those solely developing in pots, so here's a few pics of some of the JBP that have been 100% in pots from seed and a bit of a description of what my intentions are with them going forward.
Nowhere near the size of the other ones, but still developing pretty well I think.
🍺
JBP_Comp IG_1.jpg
A few of them on the bench ...

JBP_Comp IG_4.jpg
A close up of the base of one. I have decandled this last December to keep growth in close to the trunk while the sacrifice lengthens to add a bit of girth. This one was wired early for movement.

JBP_Comp IG_3.jpg
This one I am taking a different route ... will probably end up with a smaller tree. I removed the sacrifice a couple of months ago and will be focussing on refining the top from here. No movement was wired in so the trunk is quite straight, but I think a change in planting angle and a new leader jutting off for the apex will give it the interest and taper it needs. I'm thinking I should get something more resembling a bonsai in a year or two... maybe 3.

JBP_Comp IG_2.jpg
This last one is 2 seedlings that have been grown together since they were seeds. There's some pretty nice fusion going on near the base and some good branching options will hopefully make this something a bit unique in the years to come.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was down in my "grow beds" on Sunday, and had planned to pull a few of the JBPs from this comp up to see how things were going. Here's how a few of them have developed.

JBP DIG IG_01.jpg
I really like the movement that is developing in this one.

JBP DIG IG_02.jpg
This one has a great fat little base and lots of branching options. I think I can develop this on quite quickly to look pretty reasonable.

JBP DIG IG_03.jpg
My initial thoughts lean towards a semi-cascade for this little trunk.

JBP DIG IG_04.jpg
No definitive plans for this, I guess I'll just let it keep developing.

Pretty happy with the progress on these over the past 4 years.
I replaced these ones in the beds with a few smaller JBP I had because I really enjoy watching these develop, hopefully the next batch are just as succesful.
🍺

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Update on the neagari tree I started from one of these seedlings in 2019. It’s spent two years developing the roots, and on the weekend I removed the tube and repotted. Still a big section of roots under the soil that will be further exposed over time and I might look to add a few twists into the roots over the next year or two.
🍺
17448AED-84B6-4C56-82CB-E1DB53086902.jpeg

048DDF67-9707-4873-973A-3C5F57A1D227.jpeg
DBB5F888-3251-453F-B335-71D0540FCBD3.jpeg

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Update on the neagari tree I started from one of these seedlings in 2019. It’s spent two years developing the roots, and on the weekend I removed the tube and repotted. Still a big section of roots under the soil that will be further exposed over time and I might look to add a few twists into the roots over the next year or two.
🍺
View attachment 451533

View attachment 451534
View attachment 451535
What did you use for substrate and what size? I experimented with some 1/2-1” pumice in some of mine.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What did you use for substrate and what size? I experimented with some 1/2-1” pumice in some of mine.
It was random chunks of lava (scoria) mostly ... probably between 1/4" - 1 1/2" (6-35mm or so). If I go again (and I probably will) I'll use less of the bigger stuff and more of the 1/4" to 1/2" size ... I think this will help get more "wiggle" in the roots.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
It was random chunks of lava (scoria) mostly ... probably between 1/4" - 1 1/2" (6-35mm or so). If I go again (and I probably will) I'll use less of the bigger stuff and more of the 1/4" to 1/2" size ... I think this will help get more "wiggle" in the roots.
Interesting

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Managed to sow seeds from cones that were produced from the pines I grew as part of this comp… from seed. I got a good germination rate so have about 50 new pines to play with… happy with that. Just finished stem cutting a batch.
🍺
1FE5F8EB-8FB1-4EDC-820D-27D10950DE8A.jpeg

HankDio

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now THIS is a progression thread. Thank you for sharing with us. I wish I had some of that Aussie climate, but you can keep the critters.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How long did they take to produce seed? My pine of 5 years died after a season in a pond basket but I've collected local seeds and ordered a couple grams to replenish.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How long did they take to produce seed? My pine of 5 years died after a season in a pond basket but I've collected local seeds and ordered a couple grams to replenish.

Based on these being seeds from the pines I started from seed in this comp, they were sown in July 2018. They are 4 now, but obviously I harvested the cones in Autumn, so not quite 4 years old at that time. JBP like the conditions here and are good growers for me so this might be earlier than average, I’m not that sure.
You are lucky you can just order seed, we don’t have that luxury here, nobody sells JBP seeds commercially! Collection and cultivation are the best options we have.
good luck with sowing them.
🍺

Top Bottom