Ryceman3's 6yr Scots Pine Progression

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This thread is really in response to one that @M. Frary started last year in relation to developing some Scots Pine in a similar manner to that being undertaken in the 6 year JBP competition. His original thread is here :
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/m-frarys-6-year-scots-pine-contest-thread.35131/
I said I would start a thread to document my Scots Pine and how they are progressing so this is it.

These were all germinated from seed early last Spring (late Aug/Sept for us in Australia), here's a quick photo timeline :
Here they are in August, probably about a month after they were sown :
Scots Pine _Aug'18_01.jpg

Then in October I stem cut a few to see how they would go ...
IMG_3552.jpg
I also did some traditional root pruning and planted a few out in groups (slightly larger pots) for a bit of fun about a month later... November.
IMG_3516.jpg
I left them to grow for a few months (just sun, water and fert) until February came around and they looked like this ... (the picture below is of the same "forest" as above on the left) ...
SCP_0219-01.JPG
And here's one that is growing in it's own pot from the same time ...
SCP[RC]_0219_01.JPG
In March I came to the conclusion that with all the pines I had managed to propogate over Spring, there was no way I could keep them all so it was time to have a clearance and make some room. The shot below is of the Scots Pine that have since been re-homed ...
scots pine.jpg
Which leads me to where I am currently at with my Scots Pine. The shot below is of most of the ones I have left. I had over 50 and am now down to 16 or so I think.
IMG_4104.jpg
I wouldn't say they have grown much as Summer/Autumn winds down for us down here but there are plenty of buds setting ready to go for when Spring pops back up in about 4 months time. Most of them probably stand around 10cm (4") or so, not as big as my JBP but as far as I can tell still very healthy and strong. I also have some Austrian Pine and Japanese Red Pine that I grew at the same time ... but I guess that's a whole other thread!
IMG_4102.jpg

I have kept a mix of stem cut and just regular root pruned examples, I'm keen to see the differences when I repot these. My plan is to give most of these a root prune in early Spring, put them in some slightly bigger pots and then sun/water/fert for the growing season ... hopefully watching them go crazy! I have a bit of time to plan for that ... it's a few months off.
Cheers.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread is really in response to one that @M. Frary started last year in relation to developing some Scots Pine in a similar manner to that being undertaken in the 6 year JBP competition. His original thread is here :
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/m-frarys-6-year-scots-pine-contest-thread.35131/
I said I would start a thread to document my Scots Pine and how they are progressing so this is it.

These were all germinated from seed early last Spring (late Aug/Sept for us in Australia), here's a quick photo timeline :
Here they are in August, probably about a month after they were sown :
View attachment 240462

Then in October I stem cut a few to see how they would go ...
View attachment 240463
I also did some traditional root pruning and planted a few out in groups (slightly larger pots) for a bit of fun about a month later... November.
View attachment 240464
I left them to grow for a few months (just sun, water and fert) until February came around and they looked like this ... (the picture below is of the same "forest" as above on the left) ...
View attachment 240465
And here's one that is growing in it's own pot from the same time ...
View attachment 240467
In March I came to the conclusion that with all the pines I had managed to propogate over Spring, there was no way I could keep them all so it was time to have a clearance and make some room. The shot below is of the Scots Pine that have since been re-homed ...
View attachment 240468
Which leads me to where I am currently at with my Scots Pine. The shot below is of most of the ones I have left. I had over 50 and am now down to 16 or so I think.
View attachment 240469
I wouldn't say they have grown much as Summer/Autumn winds down for us down here but there are plenty of buds setting ready to go for when Spring pops back up in about 4 months time. Most of them probably stand around 10cm (4") or so, not as big as my JBP but as far as I can tell still very healthy and strong. I also have some Austrian Pine and Japanese Red Pine that I grew at the same time ... but I guess that's a whole other thread!
View attachment 240470

I have kept a mix of stem cut and just regular root pruned examples, I'm keen to see the differences when I repot these. My plan is to give most of these a root prune in early Spring, put them in some slightly bigger pots and then sun/water/fert for the growing season ... hopefully watching them go crazy! I have a bit of time to plan for that ... it's a few months off.
Cheers.
I guess I need to take pictures of my Scots seedlings from last year now.
Yours are further along I believe.
I was worried mine were getting eaten by voles.
But both these and the mugo seedlings from last year were encased in ice so they didn't get noticed.

Yeah,these look better than mine for sure.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I repotted some of these today in preparation for the arrival of Spring. I found the roots on these guys to be a lot longer and coarser than my JBP or JRP of a comparable age, so I gave them a real trim back in the hopes that they get the hint and ramify a bit more to give me something to work with.
Below is a "before and after" of one of the stem cut seedlings I made. It's still super small but there are lots of buds and I think it will take off when the warmer weather arrives here in a few weeks.

I probably did root work on about a dozen or so of these today, hopefully that improves the future nebari and sets me up with something more promising in the future.
🍺

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tread, ive a lot of Scots Pines at different stage of growth from seedlings to 5 years old trees, also germinated JNB, JRP and Austrian Pine ohh sorry i got good results with Stone Pine as well.
I did some root pruning on them so far and waiting for new roots to show.
I will watch the tread for further updates.
Great work!

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice tread, ive a lot of Scots Pines at different stage of growth from seedlings to 5 years old trees, also germinated JNB, JRP and Austrian Pine ohh sorry i got good results with Stone Pine as well.
I did some root pruning on them so far and waiting for new roots to show.
I will watch the tread for further updates.
Great work!
Thanks for the kind words. I’ve also got some Austrian pine and JRP on the go at about the same stage, along with some JBP... you can see these here : https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ryceman3s-6yr-jbp-contest-entry.34349/
I’ve had good progression with all in just over a year since I sowed the seeds, but I feel like this year I’m ready for some big steps forward... exciting times! I think that getting the roots right early on is the key to setting up a good tree for the future, we’ll see how that works out!
🍺 👍

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Will update @win320 in a week or two... still debating about a possible need to repot, and if I do I’ll try to remember to take some pics for reference, they are looking OK at the moment though, thanks for your interest!
🍺

win320

Mame
Reaction score
@Ryceman3 : Hi,

I have been checking, it would be great if you could please post a few updates...
cheers!
VIN

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Ryceman3 : Hi,

I have been checking, it would be great if you could please post a few updates...
cheers!
VIN
Hey, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you ... but I basically forgot! :oops:
Anyway, here's a few pictures I took about 5 minutes ago, so they are about as current as you can get. I decided against the repot for 2 reasons.
1. They weren't all that solid in the current pots so still room to grow
2. We are in lockdown so no proper access to nurseries/supplies and my finite amount of potting mix could be better used on other plants.

The first picture is of the 5 I have left here. The others were either sold/traded/gifted or are planted in the ground. Unfortunately I can't show you what the ground ones look like. They are at a property that is outside where I am allowed to go (like I said ... lockdown!) so even I will be surprised next I see them ... I haven't had an update for a few months!
SCP_01B.jpg
I didn't have anything around for scale so here is my hand - my 4 fingers measure around 85mm (3.5") just so you have some idea.
SCP_03.jpg
Next up is a "root over rock" version I put together last year (same stock). The rock is buried in there, it is growing strongly so next year I'll lift it out and see how things are going. It's a little bigger that the others ... maybe because it's in a bigger pot?? Not sure ...
SCP_02B.jpg
And finally here they are together with an average JBP that was grown from seed at the same time. As you can tell, the JBP are much more vigorous growers.
SCP_04.jpg
Last year they were just left to grow. This year I think I'll most likely do the same ... but perhaps start the process of branch/trunk selection as thickness begins to build in a few of them.
Thanks for your interest, I hope that gives you some idea of where they are at.
🍺

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would get some wire on them and start bending some shape into those trunks before they get too big

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would get some wire on them and start bending some shape into those trunks before they get too big
That’ll probably be part of the branch/trunk selection job, still enough time to bend in a few months, not that big yet.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm jealous of the amount of growth you're getting!
Mine are in prime shape, started in the same year but they're still way behind compared to yours. Nice job!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great results. Look like the seedling cutting produced some nice lateral roots?!

I'm jealous of the amount of growth you're getting!
Thats the melbourne sun for you. Their winter is our late spring. My colleagues never understood why I never had a jacket with me.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great results. Look like the seedling cutting produced some nice lateral roots?!

Thats the melbourne sun for you. Their winter is our late spring. My colleagues never understood why I never had a jacket with me.
It’s true the conditions here are pretty conducive to growing stuff. Particularly pines... particularly JBP! Scots pine are a little less familiar/popular, but they hold their own. Having the conditions is one thing, knowing how to use them to maximise return is another. It’s not rocket science but you still need to stick to a plan and keep motivated to achieve it. Good conditions just means you have less excuses!
🍺

win320

Mame
Reaction score
Hey, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you ... but I basically forgot! :oops:
Anyway, here's a few pictures I took about 5 minutes ago, so they are about as current as you can get. I decided against the repot for 2 reasons.
1. They weren't all that solid in the current pots so still room to grow
2. We are in lockdown so no proper access to nurseries/supplies and my finite amount of potting mix could be better used on other plants.

The first picture is of the 5 I have left here. The others were either sold/traded/gifted or are planted in the ground. Unfortunately I can't show you what the ground ones look like. They are at a property that is outside where I am allowed to go (like I said ... lockdown!) so even I will be surprised next I see them ... I haven't had an update for a few months!
View attachment 334948
I didn't have anything around for scale so here is my hand - my 4 fingers measure around 85mm (3.5") just so you have some idea.
View attachment 334950
Next up is a "root over rock" version I put together last year (same stock). The rock is buried in there, it is growing strongly so next year I'll lift it out and see how things are going. It's a little bigger that the others ... maybe because it's in a bigger pot?? Not sure ...
View attachment 334949
And finally here they are together with an average JBP that was grown from seed at the same time. As you can tell, the JBP are much more vigorous growers.
View attachment 334951
Last year they were just left to grow. This year I think I'll most likely do the same ... but perhaps start the process of branch/trunk selection as thickness begins to build in a few of them.
Thanks for your interest, I hope that gives you some idea of where they are at.
🍺
Thanks for sharing updates... wow .. very nicely documented and great results... what fertilizer do you use and how often? thanks again

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for sharing updates... wow .. very nicely documented and great results... what fertilizer do you use and how often? thanks again
Nothing special in relation to fertiliser, just pelletised chook poo (organic, in tea bags) and liquid fert (brand is interchanging... no preference) every second week or so.

win320

Mame
Reaction score
Nothing special in relation to fertiliser, just pelletised chook poo (organic, in tea bags) and liquid fert (brand is interchanging... no preference) every second week or so.
Thanks @Ryceman3 and also the magical ingredient is good sunshine in Australia :)

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey @Ryceman3 , those Scots are look great!
Cheers mate, I often overlook these as they don’t move as quick as the JBP so it is easy to focus on what you see growing the best but I thinned out the ROR I posted above today and I was pretty stoked with how it is travelling. In many ways superior in terms of needle length and branching options. Cool trees!
🍺

Top Bottom