Ryozo Nomura and Mas Ishi and Robert Harrington?

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi All,

For those of you in California, particularly Southern California - I'm looking for some information and I think casting a wide net may be a good approach. In 2007 Bonsai Society of San Francisco member John Pennington penned a history article about the BSSF logo tree. The tree has quite a back story which you can read Pennington's version of here if you're interested:

http://www.bssf.org/articles-and-stories/the-bssf-logo-tree/

Note that I've already added two notes at the top of the article.

I was contacted by Robert J. Barran of the Phoenix Bonsai Society who also acts as a bonsai historian (and posts here I believe). See a quite impressive history here:

http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/BigPicture/Timeline3.html

So, here are my questions:
  1. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of Ryozo Nomura, a grafting expert from Southern California (born 1899) likely deceased, but unknown. ? He may have been the teacher of Mas Ishi.
  2. Does anyone know who Robert Harrington was? Apparently he died in the 1980's but John Pennington's article contains other errors so I'm not sure about this. Pennington's article states that he was notable in the SoCal scene in the 1970's. I believe I may have been contacted by Harrington's granddaughter a few years ago but I have no record of this unfortunately.
  3. Shot in the dark - anyone have anything to add to this timeline that is not covered?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are the only photo's of any Ryozo Nomura trees I could find. From Bonsai in California, 69, 70, 71 and then he falls off the radar. I was thinking Robert Harrington was a Doctor.

Those to uprights are an exercise in bar branching don'ts.

DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG

Jdelamotte

Seed
Reaction score
Hi!
I know nothing about Bonsai, but Robert Stuckey Harrington was my Great-Great Uncle and a Lawyer from Pasadena, CA (born in MO). He died without having any children. Now that I live in San Francisco I plan to see the see the tree when I get a chance!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi!
I know nothing about Bonsai, but Robert Stuckey Harrington was my Great-Great Uncle and a Lawyer from Pasadena, CA (born in MO). He died without having any children. Now that I live in San Francisco I plan to see the see the tree when I get a chance!
Wow! Welcome to the site and thank you!

1. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of Ryozo Nomura, a grafting expert from Southern California (born 1899) likely deceased, but unknown. ? He may have been the teacher of Mas Ishi.
I know this is an old thread, but very quickly:
(1) His name was Mas Ishii (two i's).
(2) His son, Gary Ishii, owns and runs Chikugo-En.
Chikugo-En Bonsai
If anyone knows the history, it will be Gary. You can give him a call and ask.

Last edited:

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi!
Hi Jdelamotte, please ping me on my email (DM's here are second option). If you follow the link in my signature to Bonsaify, then use the contact that'll allow me not to publicly post my email to the spam bots.

I have the BSSF logo tree in my yard at present, in San Francisco. It is part of the Bonsai Garden Lake Merritt collection, but I asked the collection to allow me to work on it for the next couple years and they agreed. We can set up a time for you to see it and chat about your great great uncle.

Best,

Eric

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Jdelamotte, please ping me on my email (DM's here are second option). If you follow the link in my signature to Bonsaify, then use the contact that'll allow me not to publicly post my email to the spam bots.

I have the BSSF logo tree in my yard at present, in San Francisco. It is part of the Bonsai Garden Lake Merritt collection, but I asked the collection to allow me to work on it for the next couple years and they agreed. We can set up a time for you to see it and chat about your great great uncle.

Best,

Eric
The tree could not be in better hands than yours, Eric!

I hope you’re doing well!

Top Bottom