Ryusen maple progression

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is my favorite maple. As I said in the other thread, it will never be a traditional bonsai because I really like the plethora of branches and foliage. My plan with it is to keep it about the size it is now and work on building ramification over the years.
20180408_143930.jpg20180408_143955.jpg20180408_144049.jpg20180409_194723.jpg20180409_194738.jpg20180409_200422.jpg20180421_105813.jpg20180519_125732.jpg20180804_150000.jpg20180804_150007.jpg
If I eventually get tired of the design then I may cut it back.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wait until fall...and it offers lovely fall colors! You will love it even more then!
I know, I saw the pictures you posted of yours! It's kinda funny how I get the most enjoyment out of the tree least like a bonsai.

I'm still contemplating removing that upright even though my wiring softened it a bit. I just can't get over the comment you made about wanting more height in yours so I'm leaving it for now. I can always chop it off later but I can't put it back!

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one also. Looking forward to the fall colors as well. I usually bury my pots for winter care but I have been trying how to do this one. This will be my first winter with it.
View attachment 204419

What about one of those cheapie little greenhouses and a heating pad used for starting seeds? That might keep the roots safe while letting the branches get the cold temperatures they need. You could cut the shelves to allow for the lower branches. Disclaimer: I have never tried this but it is just an idea.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yea, I have an indoor setup for tropicals but it needs to go to sleep. I have raised bed that I could let it cascade over but I put a tarp around it for wind protection. I’ll figure something out out by winter.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
interesting, i never knew there was a weeping variety of maple until i googled the name of your tree. ive not heard of ryusen before

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
interesting, i never knew there was a weeping variety of maple until i googled the name of your tree. ive not heard of ryusen before

There are many weeping dissectum varieties but only a couple of weeping palmatum. It's a really cool tree and I like it a lot. Caddy has been teasing me for months about how nice the fall color is so I can't wait!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Watch that wire closely...they thicken pretty quick. I had wired mine early on so it wasn't a narrow weeping pattern. Was shocked at how quickly the branch thickened and my needing to remove and retire.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not that you asked, but the tree to me looks unbalanced. Are you planning on keeping both sides of the upper trunk? To me they are too divergent from each other in direction. Looks like you could do some strong cutbacks to encourage more branching as well.
But then I don't really know these, so if they are very different than other maples, pardon the suggestions!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Watch that wire closely...they thicken pretty quick. I had wired mine early on so it wasn't a narrow weeping pattern. Was shocked at how quickly the branch thickened and my needing to remove and retire.

Tell me about it. It already has a bunch of wire marks because the wire would be fine one day but not the next! I do try to watch carefully.

Not that you asked, but the tree to me looks unbalanced. Are you planning on keeping both sides of the upper trunk? To me they are too divergent from each other in direction. Looks like you could do some strong cutbacks to encourage more branching as well.
But then I don't really know these, so if they are very different than other maples, pardon the suggestions!

Yes, I'm planning to keep both. This is a bit of a different animal and I'm not going for the typical bonsai look. Probably nobody will like it but me. lol

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did some work today and it kinda got away from me. That happens sometimes.

I noticed last summer that water was having a hard time penetrating so decided it needed a repot this spring. Today was the day. When I popped it out of the pond basket I noted that it was hard and practically impenetrable! The whole thing was just full of fine roots.

2021-02-27 15.07.59.jpg

I really couldn't get it to budge much so decided to soak it for a but to loosen it up. All was going well but as I teased deeper and deeper I started to hit some really thick heavy roots and that's when I remembered that this was one of the first trees I ever repotted and I didn't do a thorough job. There was a dense blob of thick roots in the center of the pot so I decided that since this is a fairly young tree and should have plenty of strength to recover it was now or never for fixing the problem. It took me several hours and I had to lose a lot of the roots but it should be ok. It was growing like gangbusters so should have enough energy to push lots of new roots and then I won't touch it for a couple of years.

2021-02-27 16.15.29.jpg

2021-02-27 16.34.11.jpg

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just curious as to why the use of the pond basket?
My understanding was that it is a good choice for conifers and pines, but deciduous did better in grow boxes or containers.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice! How wide at the base?

A little over 2".

Just curious as to why the use of the pond basket?
My understanding was that it is a good choice for conifers and pines, but deciduous did better in grow boxes or containers.

Two years in a pond basket gave me an impenetrable mass of fine roots. If a grow box can do better I'd rather it didn't! lol. They're my go-to training pot for both deciduous and conifers. Great oxygen exchange, air-pruned roots so no spin, and the whole thing is covered in tie-down holes.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update on this tree. I lucked into an absolutely kick ass Dave Bennett pot that I thought my ryusen would look good in. Good is an understatement!

Once again I had a dense, dense mass of roots in the pong basket and it took a lot of work to get it into the pot but right from the get-go I knew it was a good match.

2023-04-14 19.37.58.jpg2023-04-14 20.00.29.jpg2023-04-14 20.00.49.jpg2023-04-14 20.13.14.jpg

It was looking good so I put it into the Cleveland Bonsai Club show this year.

DSC00030.jpg

It's far from a fiinished tree But I'm happy with the progress and I'm glad I didn't remove the upward growing branch.

If you look closely at the trunk you might notice a dark spot that showed up a couple of years ago. The local ag inspector thinks that an ambrosia beetle bored into it and left behind ambrosia fungus. It seems to be healing and I've treated with a systemic fungicide so hoping for the best. Kind of another reason I wanted to get it into the show... just in case I don't get another chance.

Top Bottom