Ryusen Weeping Japanese Maple

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I grew this from a cutting, and have been working on it for a while. It has been a challenge as I have found that it seems to be highly susceptible to fungus infections. It is real shaggy now, just letting it grow out to develop some branching.

DSC02799-1.jpgDSC02803-1.jpgDSC02804-1.jpgDSC02806-1.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can you tell me the size of the cutting you took and the rooting media and conditions you provided while getting it to root? There is a ryusen in a neibors yard I'd like to propagate and if its as simple as rooting a cutting then I might do it soon.
Thanks

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Can you tell me the size of the cutting you took and the rooting media and conditions you provided while getting it to root? There is a ryusen in a neibors yard I'd like to propagate and if its as simple as rooting a cutting then I might do it soon.
Thanks

Hello CE, I have a large nursery pot with potting soil mixed with used Bonsai soil under one of my benches. I stick cuttings in it, sometimes with rooting hormone, most of the time not. No special care, just keep it wet. Most of the cuttings are half pencil size are smaller, just stuff I prune off each year.

Ryusen is probably the easiest to root, 60 - 75% root. I took my dad about a dozen cuttings last year and eight made it. They were just struck in a pot with potting soil that set one his bench.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I highly recommend Infuse as a systemic for a wide variety of diseases. If you are getting something over and over it is probably resident nearby. Look around...

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
If you keep it up and get a ton of ramification - this will be a sight to behold in winter

Top Bottom