Ryusen

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Just picked up this Ryusen as I thought it might have good potential. These seem really vigorous! It was weeping down past the bottom of the pot and couldn't see any structure so I trimmed off branch ends to the soil line to open it up a little. There is a tree in there somewhere. I know the weeping is the primary habit of these which look very cool but curious if this might train well as a more traditional maple look?
I dug in the base a little and did not see any grafting union so hoping it's all original. Looking to reduce roots and repot next spring before doing anything else. Thoughts? Potential?

Attachments

• Ryusen1.jpg
    Ryusen1.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Ryusen2.jpg
    Ryusen2.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 53

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
So found some history on this seemingly new cultivar. Explains why I am not seeing a whole lot of threads or videos about it.

(copied from other sources)
Acer palmatum 'Ryu Sei' is a pendulous Japanese maple that exhibits star shaped leaves on each branch. Translated from Japanese 'Ryu Sei' means 'Shooting Star'. Acer palmatum 'Ryu Sei' is also sold and named 'Ryusen' (Flowing Waters) which is an incorrectly applied name as per 'The International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants'.

The standards are grafted onto A. palmatum 'Arakawa' for its unique corky-bark texture. 'Ryusen' was found by Mr. Kobayashi from Kobayashi Maple Nursery in Japan.
Acer palmatum 'Ryu Sei' is also known as 'Millenium Green' since it was introduced in 2000.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is my Ryusen. That section of bench is 50" long. The flared base and nebari are 10 inches wide.
20210506_112505.jpg
This spring without foliage. The cultivars characteristics are to weep. I chose to play off those characteristics. Than fight them.
20210309_112214.jpg

Decimated from an arctic winter which pushed it below it's zone hardiness. We had always been a zone 5. But fell to a zone 4. The red line is where I chopped and dug it from the ground to hope one day I could turn it into something. That was back Spring 2014. 20210518_085623.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow.. it looks great! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks.
Welcome it was a long journey. With the trunk as it was thick from landscape growing to get it to look proportionate. For years it grew as a potted tree gaining health and bulk. In it's thread for this tree...Mr Valavanis shared one he picked up as well. You can find it in the search. The title mentions decimated by winter. And a few others here have them.

Top Bottom