Sabina Juniper Help

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
So I have a 40-50 year old ground grown sabina juniper and I need some advice. The tree was roughly styled before I had purchased it and it has a branch that was partly snapped but was wrapped in tape. The branch however doesn't seem like it will make it. The foliage attached to this branch is dry and falls to the touch and makes up about 25% of the total foliage on the tree. I'm 90% sure that the foliage on this branch will have completely dried out by the end of the week. The remaining foliage on the tree is soft and has a vibrant green color. My question is, should I remove the branch? If I am correct that the branch is dead, is it safe to assume that it's not leeching nutrients from other parts of the tree. Or should I leave it and see if it will miraculously bounce back?

My plans were to graft kishu shimpaku onto this sabina at the beginning of next year, but now I'm probably thinking I should let it rest for at least one or two more growing seasons before attempting the graft. What do you guys think? Is my tree a goner? What are the chances of the tree surviving? Thanks in advance.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cut it off. 25% ain't much unless it was recently reduced to 25%.

Sorce

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
How about posting a photo?
you could see theres a pretty obvious distinction between the healthy foliage and the not so healthy foliage. i also included the site where the branch snapped. it was taped when i got the tree but the tape was old and coming off and the wound was already long exposed.
IMG_4649-2.jpgIMG_4648-2.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yep, that branch is probably dead, and it won’t hurt to remove it now.

Top Bottom