Sad day

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I have to get something off my chest. For the past 15 year or so I have been eye balling this beautiful weeping japanese maple in my neighborhood. I often imagine it as specimen in my bonsai collection. For the past five years I've thought about talking to the homeowners about paying to dig it up and taking it away, as it has been unkept and neglected for years. The tree has a six inch trunk, three feet tall and five feet wide. I truly lusted over this tree!! Today I drove by an saw that the new owners of the house had cut it down to ground level and were removing it and the plants around it. I am so upset with them and myself. It had to have been at least 40 years old. A perfect red, Lacey leafed, Japanese maple. Probably crimson Queen. I'm devastated!! Sorry just had to vent.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sorry to hear, I always tell my neighbors that if he/she ever want to get rid of a tree lemme know and often they let me take it for free if its in a undesirable location. Obviously the new owner doesn't know how much a maple like that is worth even if its not for bonsai.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry to hear, I always tell my neighbors that if he/she ever want to get rid of a tree lemme know and often they let me take it for free if its in a undesirable location. Obviously the new owner doesn't know how much a maple like that is worth even if its not for bonsai.
Yes, on this. I eyeballed a Shimpaku about bushel basket size badly placed for a dozen years and one day it disappeared and wanted to scream. If I had only knocked of the door and offered to replace it with something easier to mow around or whatever...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is sad to hear. Maybe you find some solice in the fact that most of these are grafted and the graft joint grow out of propertion fast. It probably was not great material when inspected up close.

Top Bottom