Sad Tulip Tree

Reaction score
I recently planted a tulip tree sapling and it was doing great for about a week then it just started looking realy sad and unhealthy the leafs are just drooping and drying up. Is it ok?20200810_174441.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you have drainage holes drilled in your box? If so, it might have been the wrong season to collect or transplant. Usually, spring for the deciduous is safer.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Keep it in light but no direct sun. Those leaves will not reduce to anything bonsai-like. As long as you're collecting weeds, look for Elm, Haw, Oaks and Hop Hornbeam

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you collect it for its potentiality as a bonsai?
It has no bonsai potential
unless you make a huge un-bonsai like bonsai. Leaves are huge and internodes are far apart.
When you collect a tree for a bonsai future, check to see what trees others collect. Did you see a picture of a Liriodendron tulipifera aka Tulip Polar? I'd warrant you didn't.
Where are you located? Mid Atlantic? There are probably a lot of trees native in your area that are suitable. Other members and myself could help steer you toward appropriate choices for bonsai.

Reaction score
I
Did you collect it for its potentiality as a bonsai?
It has no bonsai potential
unless you make a huge un-bonsai like bonsai. Leaves are huge and internodes are far apart.
When you collect a tree for a bonsai future, check to see what trees others collect. Did you see a picture of a Liriodendron tulipifera aka Tulip Polar? I'd warrant you didn't.
Where are you located? Mid Atlantic? There are probably a lot of trees native in your area that are suitable. Other members and myself could help steer you toward appropriate choices for bonsai.
North Carolina
I know it has no bonsai potential it had been mowed over many times and it fused with two other trees so before it was mowed over again I dug it up and put it with my other bonsais.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I
North Carolina
I know it has no bonsai potential it had been mowed over many times and it fused with two other trees so before it was mowed over again I dug it up and put it with my other bonsais.
Hey, I’m hoping it pulls through; but next time wait until spring for higher probability of survival. I think it could be nice in a larger pot on the patio.. like and outdoor house plant.
This is “tulip poplar”, right? I like tulip poplar for firewood because it dries out quickly and even a big log lites up like kindling in the morning.. no huffing and puffing required around coffee time to get the wood stove hot.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I
North Carolina
I assumed it was about bonsai. So I guess you are going to plant it?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes it is planted and has been for the past 2 weeks and it is doing better, I know it is an un bonsai like bonsai I like it I guess!
Good for you. I have several trees in my collection that I refer to as ‘non-sai.’ They will never play by bonsai rules, but they please me nevertheless. Pearl bush, dwarf smoke bush, Korean spice bush, etc. my friend refers to that part of the group as the bonsai island of Dr. Moreau.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ignore naysayers. Most any tree with large leaves can be reduced and used as larger tree. Unique leaves/flowers make this interesting tree. Horse Chestnut is also used by some as well as other large or compound leaved trees.
Personal suspicion is that your tree was replanted at wrong time and is struggling;).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes it is planted and has been for the past 2 weeks and it is doing better, I know it is an un bonsai like bonsai I like it I guess!
No argument from me. I have a lot of trees in pots just because I like them. I have no illusions that they will ever be bonsai but they still please me.

Top Bottom