Sadly...I think the wire scaring is to bad to consider

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This style though...always catches my eye. Though...the wire scars seem really bad. I would love a small flowering Shohin though. Any ideas where I could look to get one come spring? I think I just love the tall slender pot.

image_zps465c0dd4.jpg

image_zpsf6dbec45.jpg

image_zpsb594cced.jpg

image_zps505ad204.jpg

image_zps70c7ac33.jpg

image_zpse827edb8.jpg

image_zps0ab7575c.jpg

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
cascade only? house of bonsai has some decent prices on shohin satsuki azalea on ebay.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
See I am new..."accident" ? See...mentally I know there is something off. But it must be the pot and the ideal of a cascade that catches my eye. Lol

What specimen is that ? Sorry I should of just said that the first time...

Grimmy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Quick! Call Steve at Plant City Bonsai. He has a wisteria cascade that is showing flower buds.

That style of pot, however, is a poor choice. It's very hard to repot, especially if the roots become pot bound. Better to plant in a square pot, and use a stand. For training, wire the pot to a concrete block stood up on end.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What is it? I don't the scarring is too too bad might fade away in a couple of years.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Quick! Call Steve at Plant City Bonsai. He has a wisteria cascade that is showing flower buds.

That style of pot, however, is a poor choice. It's very hard to repot, especially if the roots become pot bound. Better to plant in a square pot, and use a stand. For training, wire the pot to a concrete block stood up on end.

Off to see if he has a website...wisteria is toxic...but noticing my Aussie leaves my potted plants alone.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Off to see if he has a website...wisteria is toxic...but noticing my Aussie leaves my potted plants alone.

Our dog chews every toxic leaf it finds and for some reason does not chew or carry around wisteria *shrugs* does not bother with a few other none toxics as well. Must be an "acquired taste" :p

Grimmy

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I too love cascades, but good ones are hard to find. Most of the time when I create a cascade from purchased material, it is being sold/advertised as an informal upright. You must use your "bonsai vision" to see the potential in these trees to BECOME a cascade, or find the trees that easily lend themselves to this style. As for vendors I'm sure you could do this with just about any nursery. I myself have purchased multiple cascades this way from nurseries, vendors, auctions, and member sales areas of bonsai shows. These member sales areas often have material that has been given up on or forgotten about, the owners simply losing interest or motivation, and they can usually be purchased for little money (this is my secret to getting quality material for cheap ;).

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
As for that tree, the wire scarring could be overlooked if the price is right. In my experience, crepe myrtles tend to have random dieback of branches which makes wiring and training for bonsai frustrating. All the work you put into growing a branch and the next year it could be gone.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I too love cascades, but good ones are hard to find. Most of the time when I create a cascade from purchased material, it is being sold/advertised as an informal upright. You must use your "bonsai vision" to see the potential in these trees to BECOME a cascade, or find the trees that easily lend themselves to this style. As for vendors I'm sure you could do this with just about any nursery. I myself have purchased multiple cascades this way from nurseries, vendors, auctions, and member sales areas of bonsai shows. These member sales areas often have material that has been given up on or forgotten about, the owners simply losing interest or motivation, and they can usually be purchased for little money (this is my secret to getting quality material for cheap ;).

Thanks Brian...I have found it quite challenging. An informal...turned into a cascade ;) thanks for the awesome tip!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I might add that many people "think" the process is difficult when in fact is just time consuming for most species.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As for that tree, the wire scarring could be overlooked if the price is right. In my experience, crepe myrtles tend to have random dieback of branches which makes wiring and training for bonsai frustrating. All the work you put into growing a branch and the next year it could be gone.

Since that is a crepe myrtle...I had no idea they did random die back. :eek: what would you say to throw money out the window price range one should not go past?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Plant City website:

Www.plantcitybonsai.com.

The tree is not on the site, it just came in yesterday. Call him, and he will send a photo. I was there as he took it out of the box. It will probably sell this weekend, as many people like to shop the new shipments.

Since I teach classes there, I got a preview.

He got in some nice zelkova a, and I will be leading a workshop (or series of workshops) on how to develop these for nebari and ramification.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Plant City website:

Www.plantcitybonsai.com.

The tree is not on the site, it just came in yesterday. Call him, and he will send a photo. I was there as he took it out of the box. It will probably sell this weekend, as many people like to shop the new shipments.

Since I teach classes there, I got a preview.

He got in some nice zelkova a, and I will be leading a workshop (or series of workshops) on how to develop these for nebari and ramification.

I sent a PM on Facebook...I am home sick and cough horribly when attempting to talk right now. Is it a Shohin?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Hey Brian, are you having dieback from overwintering? Because I've never had any dieback on mine, but they are in a cold greenhouse overwintering situation. I have 2 (one from you... ;)) and neither one have lost any branches for the years I've had them..

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Brian, are you having dieback from overwintering? Because I've never had any dieback on mine, but they are in a cold greenhouse overwintering situation. I have 2 (one from you... ;)) and neither one have lost any branches for the years I've had them..

That is good to know Judy...curious what brings on the dieback. Is it some sort of blight? Or cold damage from elements?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is good to know Judy...curious what brings on the dieback. Is it some sort of blight? Or cold damage from elements?
I wouldn't know what the problems would be other than cold. They are not cold hardy here, that's why the winter protection is important. If you have a yard planted one, they die back to the ground every winter in my area, yours too probably, although they do come back from the roots.
I have 2 and neither one of them has had any dieback issues.

Maybe Brian can tell us what has happened to his, I can't imagine it would be cold for him as he's in CA. Maybe something local to him.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Judy...what zone are you? Though you do have the heated cold greenhouse. Hm-mmm

I found this googling...
Tree/shrub Tops Blacken, Die Back In Spring means Cold Weather
In some northern areas crape myrtles are victims of cold snaps which kill their tops. Their roots are generally cold hardy, however, so simply prune off the dead material early in the spring before growth starts. The plant will sprout new growth and bloom on schedule.

So they need their branches protected from cold it seems. :confused:

Top Bottom