Safe T Sorb experiment

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My experience with both STS and NAPA 8822 is that the fines flush out with the first two or three thorough waterings.
Michael, that "....My experience with ....." is the take-away point. You didn't read it in a book or on the internet, you experienced it.

Peconomou

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
quick slightly off track question...where is a place to buy pine bark for my soil mix in Massachusetts (Worcester)?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I use Hapi Gro 100% organic compost from Lowe's. It's basically composted pine bark. I sift out the fines and anything over 3/8" or so. Those go into my homemade potting soil. I usually get 50-70 percent usable product out of a bag.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There's a lot of Turface or calcinated clay absorbents out there, they seem to be functionally the same with main differences in color (red, brown, black etc). I have one crape myrtle in a mix of pine bark chunks and unsifted black turface (thrifty-sorb) but those trees will grow in anything.

DE and Turface are very similar, since Turface is like ~66% silica (diatoms) and the ~33% alumina (clay), where DE is 80-90% silica.

DE has worked well for me the last couple of years. After the first year or so it starts to turn green from algae growth within its pores. I believe this to be a good thing because the soil itself drains well but maintains humidity within each granule to support life. I would recommend mixing DE/Turface with at least one other component because of its flat shape it has a tendency to compact into itself. This second year, I've began mulching with a top-layer of pine bark nuggets onto my DE in pond baskets to keep it from drying out so quickly and perhaps to keep the roots insulated. I like to think that this helps overall. During the rainy season I rarely have to water.

Last edited:
Top Bottom